• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC and spent convictions?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scarednewbie View Post
    Hello there,

Long Term Lurker First time Poster. Firstly, I am glad I have come across this thread as it has helped me reduce some anxiety over the court case that I am dealing with.

I am 27 years old and I am on the Autism Spectrum.

Essentially, in 2 weeks time, I have to attend court in Scotland for a breach of the peace (Section 38) where it is likely I will get a court fine as my conviction. AFAIK, the court fine then gets spent in 12 months according to this: https://www.gov.scot/publications/di...-1974/pages/1/

My question is that, since I am working in the private sector and I managed to clear the DBS in order to get access to one of the systems as an IT Administrator, would I need to declare this to my employer given that it will get spent in 12 months.

Also, I managed to SC in the past working on a public sector project but working in private sector, would the court fine from Breach of Peace Scotland affect my chances of getting SC or even DV?

Many Thanks in Advance. Peace
    Whether you need to declare the conviction depends on what it says in your employment contract. Usually there's a clause about changes to your circumstances and, one could argue, that a new conviction is a change of circumstance. How well do you get on with your line manager? It might be worth having a chat with them to get their advice. Does HR have an intranet page with a FAQ describing what needs to be declared?

Comment

ladymuck
      No there is nothing in my contract (it's a Fixed term till end of this year) that says anything about convictions or even change in circumstances.

Obviously, if I was going to get an actual sentencing for Breach of Peace in Scotland then that changes things... which is unlikely!

SueEllen when you declare convictions, spent or not, do they ask more questions about it and how would you respond to it?

Comment

Working...
      X