• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Temp job on CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take the minimum wage job if you really need to, but never mention it on your CV.

Keep looking for contract and perm roles.

Good luck. They general state of the market is really tulipe at the moment.

Cant take it personally, probably nothing wrong with your CV either. Just not many companies hiring for your skill set at the moment. Things will definitely improve at some point and the good times will return, but we need to be prepared that things could get even worse before they get better..

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
      took a copy of my passport/driving licence, but the manager phoned me when I got home to say that she'd done it wrong, so I need to go back in for them to do it again.
      Thats normal, when my kid applied for jobs they had to go back in, the photocopy taken in store was rejected by HR/head office.
      Then it took HR days to sort out the offer/contract, kept telling the store manager they had posted it on the jobs portal when they hadn't.
      Last edited by Fraidycat; 25 March 2023, 15:13.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

That's a fair comment, thanks. That said, I had back to back contracts for 3 years prior to this, so my CV was ok for them. I've been making a few tweaks recently (e.g. swapping the order of sections around), and I might need to try a complete re-write.

In terms of demand, I've been keeping a close eye on JobServe, and there aren't that many roles which I'm eligible for. Most of them fall into a few categories:
        a) Completely different skill set (e.g. SAP).
        b) Partial match for my skills (e.g. I have experience with Azure but not Google Cloud).
        c) Good match for my skills, but requires SC/DV clearance or an EU passport.

I've also widened my search to include permie roles, and I've seen ThirtyThree spamming the same "Cyber Engineer" role in multiple locations every day. (This involves joining the army!) So, that's distorting the total number of roles available.

As always, the "state of the market" depends on what you do.
        should be no shortage of work doing SAP HANA, in our out of the cloud.
        As you have both SAP and Azure knowledge that would be a good fit for many orgs. And the big SIs have SAP people, and Azure people, very rarely the same people so there's a niche.
        SC makes you good for for roles that offshore SI people cannot do.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          should be no shortage of work doing SAP HANA, in our out of the cloud.
          As you have both SAP and Azure knowledge that would be a good fit for many orgs. And the big SIs have SAP people, and Azure people, very rarely the same people so there's a niche.
          SC makes you good for for roles that offshore SI people cannot do.
          Sorry, I didn't explain that right.

SAP is an example of a skill that I don't have, but shows up in a lot of adverts. So, your previous post is correct ("demand for skilled professionals is sky high") but I can't apply for those roles.

Similarly, I don't have SC clearance, so that rules out a bunch of other roles. (I know the theory that organisations shouldn't be using that as a filter, but in practice they are.)

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Contractor market at decent rate... barely any.
            Maybe they aren't advertised?

I get a steady stream of approaches.

Comment

Working...
            X