• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The demise of Jobserve/Total Jobs etc for IT contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find recruitment dysfunctional rather than evil. As far back as I have been contracting, some 15 years, there were already hundreds of people going for contracts and I can't imagine the situation has changed. Once it reaches three figures then it becomes a lottery unless there is a specific niche skill that can be word searched. The fact you might be really good at what you do and have a track record of picking things up quickly is irrelevant.

To be fair a few years ago you had clients asking for experience of a specific version of something, which seems to have died off now.

It's all about network and contacts now. I really don't know how anyone gets started in contracting anymore without this.

Comment

I think that parts of it is also evil.
      Succinctly done so similar to many other things in this world.

Also any family that was middle class in 2000’s is probably now wealthy beyond having to sell their time. Mainly thanks to property. So the actual educated intellectuals or anyone with some intelligence is not concerned because their children do not have to participate in it.
      If you had a house in somewhat desirable area and inherited a second one from parents(the case for plenty of people) then you would be most likely close to a millionaire. Then you would remortgage those and buy more then rent them out. A lot of people did this.

The only people left in the game are the perpetual poor.

My opinion is that anything advertised online has gone outside the close network of friends and connections. (Because if it were to be a decent gig, friends would promote it to each other)
      Making it more likely to involve a large compromise, hostile environment or stale technologies that do not go anywhere.

Comment

Both sites rubbish in my experience and not had any luck on JS for 10 years

Last 6 contracts:

LinkedIn, LinkedIn, Uni contact, Old client, Old client, Uni contact

last role from job board 2013

2019 was on bench and hit Jobserve, Total and all the other sites for 4 months. Lots of calls from India offering roles at GBP200 per day.

Square root of zero interviews and found contract via old client.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

The only local people that are still in the game, are the ones that failed at everything else and also stopped fighting for it.
          Rubbish.

Many firms recognise the difference between an offshore developer who went into technology because it was considered a desirable career and an onshore developer who with genuine aptitude and ability.

They are more than happy to pay decent rates for the latter.

Yes, chances are that it will be inside IR35 but if you are not pathological about tax efficiency or are one of these strange types that won't take an inside role for moral/religious/whatever reasons the an £850-£1000 a day inside role is better than a £500-£600 outside role.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            I find recruitment dysfunctional rather than evil. As far back as I have been contracting, some 15 years, there were already hundreds of people going for contracts and I can't imagine the situation has changed.
            I suspect the reason fewer contract roles are advertised is that recruiters are bombarded with chancers who think doubling their income is as simple as flipping to contract work.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Rubbish.

Many firms recognise the difference between an offshore developer who went into technology because it was considered a desirable career and an onshore developer who with genuine aptitude and ability.

They are more than happy to pay decent rates for the latter.

Yes, chances are that it will be inside IR35 but if you are not pathological about tax efficiency or are one of these strange types that won't take an inside role for moral/religious/whatever reasons the an £850-£1000 a day inside role is better than a £500-£600 outside role.
              If you have to sell your time everyday to be able to afford roof of over your head you are a slave.

If you wake up every morning, eat, tulip shower and drive to an office with a fake smile on your face so that you can afford to eat, you are a slave.

Even if you are on those decent rates, 600pd outside ir35, you have to live in an expensive area. At the very best, if you work 1 year you will afford only maybe another 6 months before of roof over your head. That is without setting money aside for pensions and if you do not have children.

Having to work a 9-5, a highly skilled one that does not mitigate any of the risks in life - you are still a slave but an educated one.

By that definition, you have failed in life. You were just brainwashed you had it good.

PS: I live in London, rent and bills are about 3k per month, modest 2 bed in a slightly non stabby area. rest of life expenses another 1.5k. Realistically 5k without children and modest lifestyle.

That is 60k per year.

I could probably move to Basildon in a studio but then you compromise life too much and instead of paying rent you spend on an unreliable commute.

600pd with 240 days per year at 70% retention after taxes is 8.4k per month. No pension, no student loans, no provisions for bench time, no expenses to service the contract. Best case scenario you have 6m runway after 1y contract before living under a bridge. Slave.

Comment

If you have to sell your time everyday to be able to afford roof of over your head you are a slave.

If you wake up every morning, eat, tulip shower and drive to an office with a fake smile on your face so that you can afford to eat, you are a slave.

Even if you are on those decent rates, 600pd outside ir35, you have to live in an expensive area. At the very best, if you work 1 year you will afford only maybe another 6 months before of roof over your head. That is without setting money aside for pensions and if you do not have children.

Having to work a 9-5, a highly skilled one that does not mitigate any of the risks in life - you are still a slave but an educated one.

By that definition, you have failed in life. You were just brainwashed you had it good.

PS: I live in London, rent and bills are about 3k per month, modest 2 bed in a slightly non stabby area. rest of life expenses another 1.5k. Realistically 5k without children and modest lifestyle.

That is 60k per year.

I could probably move to Basildon in a studio but then you compromise life too much and instead of paying rent you spend on an unreliable commute.

600pd with 240 days per year at 70% retention after taxes is 8.4k per month. No pension, no student loans, no provisions for bench time, no expenses to service the contract. Best case scenario you have 6m runway after 1y contract before living under a bridge. Slave.
                If that is your definition of slavery I would suggest you become a buddhist and hope you are reincarnated as a Royal or a member of the landed gentry in your next life.

Comment

If that is your definition of slavery I would suggest you become a buddhist and hope you are reincarnated as a Royal or a member of the landed gentry in your next life.
                  It used to be better in the 70-80s even late 2000's but because of ignorant people like you that do not understand how it works - the ruling class has milked the cow dry.
                  You are still unaware of being a slave.

Last edited by GigiBronz; 27 March 2023, 08:38.

Comment

It used to be better in the 70-80s even late 2000's but because of ignorant people like you that do not understand how it works - the ruling class has milked the cow dry.
                    You are still unaware of being a slave.

Thanks for not being a condescending prick.

I certainly don't think that earning a decent day rate means I have made. it.

I have however had a few tulip jobs in my youth - I have been around people who work hard - certainly a lot harder than I do working for a bank - yet are still poor. People for whom a hole in a pair of school shoes or a broken washing machine is a huge problem.

My tumble dryer broke last week - the only inconvenience for me was having to log on to the John Lewis website and decide which German white goods firm to use.

My ex colleagues would have had to scour second hand sites, take a punt on an item with no warranty and then arrange a courier because they don't drive. Or they could have gone to a rent to own retailer and been ****ed over on an HP deal.

I know I am not rich and that this system is unfairly rigged but I am definitely on the side where life is easiest and so are you.
                    Last edited by TheDude; 27 March 2023, 09:07.

Comment

Thanks for not being a condescending prick.

I certainly don't think that earning a decent day rate means I have made. it.

I have however had a few tulip jobs in my youth - I have been around people who work hard - certainly a lot harder than I do working for a bank - yet are still poor. People for whom a hole in a pair of school shoes or a broken washing machine is a huge problem.

My tumble dryer broke last week - the only inconvenience for me was having to log on to the John Lewis website and decide which German white goods firm to use.

My ex colleagues would have had to scour second hand sites, take a punt on an item with no warranty and then arrange a courier because they don't drive. Or they could have gone to a hire to own retailer and been ****ed over on an HP deal.

I know I am not rich and that this system is unfairly rigged but I am definitely on the side where life is easiest and so are you.
                      You are so blessed.

In the future your only problem would be what what kind of meat flavour you would like on your crickets.

And probably you'd still feel very blessed.

Comment

Working...
                      X