• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Much Mark-Up for PAYE Contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much Mark-Up for PAYE Contract?

To cut a long story short, I'm on a PAYE contract through an Agency who charge my services to a Contractor, who in turn charge me to a Client. I discovered recently that the Agency charges the Contractor +83% on top of the gross rate the Agency pay me. They claim that's about right as they have necessary add-ons such as payroll burden and employers NIC and others. I'm not disputing certain add-ons but 83% seems excessive so I'm sure they are marking up too much. Would appreciate any feedback as to whether +83% on a PAYE contract is legitimate or not. Thanks.

Hi Willie,
    A few questions…
    You say you’re on a PAYE contract, but then you say your re being paid gross, is that correct?
    How did you discover what the agent is being paid by their client?
    Does the figure you “discovered” include VAT?

As a helpful note - you are the contractor. If the people that are paying the agent are a client of theirs, not a contractor. The people at the top of the chain are the end client.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WillieG View Post
      To cut a long story short, I'm on a PAYE contract through an Agency who charge my services to a Contractor, who in turn charge me to a Client. I discovered recently that the Agency charges the Contractor +83% on top of the gross rate the Agency pay me. They claim that's about right as they have necessary add-ons such as payroll burden and employers NIC and others. I'm not disputing certain add-ons but 83% seems excessive so I'm sure they are marking up too much. Would appreciate any feedback as to whether +83% on a PAYE contract is legitimate or not. Thanks.

Yes it is excessive, but it is mostly the public sector scum who are ripping you off.

Without agency fees, an umbrella wants to charge a 93% markup on what I would receive.

Greedy nurses want a huge pay rise so you can expect that to go up.

Comment

Next time you are in hospital or clinic show them your post.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Hi Willie,
          A few questions…
          You say you’re on a PAYE contract, but then you say your re being paid gross, is that correct?
          How did you discover what the agent is being paid by their client?
          Does the figure you “discovered” include VAT?

As a helpful note - you are the contractor. If the people that are paying the agent are a client of theirs, not a contractor. The people at the top of the chain are the end client.
          I think he means consultancy
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X