• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of living and day rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of living and day rate

Permies have been seeing some sweet little raises across the board. However, am I the only contractor who feels a bit left out? After 10 months on the fly I found myself available again and I haven't found anything at least on par with my last gig. Companies want to pay no more than £500-550 PD, same as the past 4-5 years since I've been contracting. It's a hard impasse, even with years of experience that the companies want anything above X is a firm No. Even if you're the second coming of Christ himself. Ugh.

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
    However, am I the only contractor who feels a bit left out?
    No, but it's the usual supply/demand story - if you have skills that are niche and in demand, then the balance of power is with you and you can more easily increase your prices.

Comment

Permies have been seeing some sweet little raises across the board. However, am I the only contractor who feels a bit left out?
      Yes you are because only an idiot thinks that permie rises have anything to do with contractor rates.

Hard life being in the top 1% of earners isn't it. Have an internet tissue to wipe your tears.

Utterly clueless.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Clearly the OP needs to improve his skill set. No problem getting £600-650 (outside) or £700 to £750 inside and never leaving the house.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Yes you are because only an idiot thinks that permie rises have anything to do with contractor rates.

Hard life being in the top 1% of earners isn't it. Have an internet tissue to wipe your tears.

Utterly clueless.
          Ah, a gentleman of high culture I see. Any more colourful descriptors for me?

Next time I'll be sure to start a thread called 'Throw the ApeShaped individual some slights'

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Clearly the OP needs to improve his skill set. No problem getting £600-650 (outside) or £700 to £750 inside and never leaving the house.
            It's amazing who they'll let have an Onlyfans account these days

Comment

Ah, a gentleman of high culture I see. Any more colourful descriptors for me?

Next time I'll be sure to start a thread called 'Throw the ApeShaped individual some slights'
              No need. Your next clueless pointless post will do just as well.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

No need. Your next clueless pointless post will do just as well.
                I hope so, catch you next Tuesday

Comment

There is definitely a correlation between perm rates and contractor rates and I for one constantly compare the two to try to figure out which side of the fence is better to hang on to

The job market at the moment is not great - It was great until about June this year and its gone downhill since

One thing I have seen banks do now is to provide a cash incentive upon end of contract rather than increase in day rate - That was introduced to stop people quitting I think but there have been no contractor rates increase in the place I am at

Perms meanwhile had 5->10% increases

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                    There is definitely a correlation between perm rates and contractor rates and I for one constantly compare the two to try to figure out which side of the fence is better to hang on to
                    Is there really? Care to elaborate in detail to prove that point?
                    The job market at the moment is not great - It was great until about June this year and its gone downhill since
                    Job market or contract market?
                    One thing I have seen banks do now is to provide a cash incentive upon end of contract rather than increase in day rate - That was introduced to stop people quitting I think but there have been no contractor rates increase in the place I am at
                    They do? All of them? Every contract? Care to provide some evidence?
                    Perms meanwhile had 5->10% increases
                    So no rate rises but perms have increases. Would that point to there being no correlation?

Comment

Working...
                    X