• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm vs contract…..another thread!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perm vs contract…..another thread!

Firstly I apologise. I’ve read many posts on this subject and have resisted posting this, but need would appreciate some opinion

current situation new perm job £100k plus uncapped bonus (hitting target will give £75k bonus), pension, holiday etc.
    monthly take home £5.5k plus a carrot net bonus lump of £35k approx
    5 days a week working at 100% capacity

vs

day rate gig £600-700
    Net take home £8.5k - £9.8k
    working 220 days a year
    5 days a week working at 70% capacity

the perm job is great but it’s building a new service which is a gamble for the small company so may fall on its arse and would take a few years to realise this. but if it works it could be huge. Company is growing rapidly

the contract gigs are also great but not always. Tends to be 6-18 months long. Always outside ir35

work is niche in data centre transformation. Always lots of work and not enough people to do it.

I’ve enough set aside to risk the perm for a few years before savings take too much of a hit

Conundrum - stick with perm and roll the dice for a bigger more secure payday? Or take the contract money and get paid my worth now?

thanks for reading ?

And did you see the reams of reams of feedback in those other posts that says we just don't know. Both of those are ridiculous money so hardly worth discussing the financial differences. I am sure one of our posters will come on creaming over these numbers so if he does best just to ignore him.

I'd immediately point out that contracts are short term and perm isn't so can't compare and that you are going to face an inside gig at some point in the current climate. You've covered both these and seem confident you'll be able to get outside gigs end to end. I'd say good luck with that but it's possible you are so niche that will happen. Who knows.

Like I say in every post I think most of the things you mention aren't valid. You'll make a lot of money either way so I'd concentrate on the type of work you'll be doing. Try and list the pros and cons of the actual work. Can you learn new skills in the perm? Better home life balance if that's important to you? Kicking back if you've a young family for a few years? What about the next contract being utter crap? End to end 100% outside really? Long travel expected on some gigs and so on.

Forget the finances and look at the type of work and what you want out of it. No need to chase the money at those rates.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You will never get a straight answer from this forum on this most important topic - I have been trying for years!

if the contract is outside IR35 then financially the outside is better by far - I also have my doubts whether the 75 bonus will be paid - They will always make an excuse why this year is bad but next year will be great.

However as usual I would be delighted to hear from others which offer is financially better

OP clearly says "Conundrum - stick with perm and roll the dice for a bigger more secure payday? Or take the contract money and get paid my worth now?" => Interested only in money

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        And did you see the reams of reams of feedback in those other posts that says we just don't know. Both of those are ridiculous money so hardly worth discussing the financial differences. I am sure one of our posters will come on creaming over these numbers so if he does best just to ignore him.

I'd immediately point out that contracts are short term and perm isn't so can't compare and that you are going to face an inside gig at some point in the current climate. You've covered both these and seem confident you'll be able to get outside gigs end to end. I'd say good luck with that but it's possible you are so niche that will happen. Who knows.

Like I say in every post I think most of the things you mention aren't valid. You'll make a lot of money either way so I'd concentrate on the type of work you'll be doing. Try and list the pros and cons of the actual work. Can you learn new skills in the perm? Better home life balance if that's important to you? Kicking back if you've a young family for a few years? What about the next contract being utter crap? End to end 100% outside really? Long travel expected on some gigs and so on.

Forget the finances and look at the type of work and what you want out of it. No need to chase the money at those rates.
        Thanks for posting and I appreciate you giving an opinion. My mind is in the perm camp but the fomo of the immediate big money gains of contracting had me conflicted. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
          You will never get a straight answer from this forum on this most important topic - I have been trying for years!

if the contract is outside IR35 then financially the outside is better by far - I also have my doubts whether the 75 bonus will be paid - They will always make an excuse why this year is bad but next year will be great.

However as usual I would be delighted to hear from others which offer is financially better

OP clearly says "Conundrum - stick with perm and roll the dice for a bigger more secure payday? Or take the contract money and get paid my worth now?" => Interested only in money
          Thanks for the response. Money has always been a driving factor of why I work, both offer a similar work/life balance so that’s kind of baked in.

Comment

Its the same with me that money is most important - But responses from here always talk about everything other than money

1) it is false that perm is more secure than contract
            2) it is false that 100K in london is ridiculous salary - 5K a month after tax goes quickly
            3) dont believe what the hiring managers tell you at interview - projects change and people come and go - The money does not

I wish you luck in getting an answer to this question because it is most important

Comment

Because

1) it’s not an important question
              2) it’s an impossible to answer question
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I am sure one of our posters will come on creaming over these numbers so if he does best just to ignore him.
                And as if by magic...

Comment

Originally posted by surfstar View Post

Thanks for posting and I appreciate you giving an opinion. My mind is in the perm camp but the fomo of the immediate big money gains of contracting had me conflicted. Cheers
                  Yep. It always is when people come on and word the question exactly as you do. We can see that and IMO it's just not a good decision point. There are other factors at play here. You are in the top 1% of the country at those figures so you have the luxury to look at some of the other factors. Don't let greed get in the way of making a good rounded decision.

On thing that might help if the FOMO is clouding your judgement. A perm contract is not for life. You can take it for 6 months and if it doesn't work you move on. Maybe stick the year to see what the bonus is and then you'll have a clear cut decision. You like it and stay or you don't and leave. You might have taken a little hit on the income but you gave it a shot, it didn't work so you have your answer and you can get back to contracting. It's not the end of the world. Just treat it like a gig with a slightly reduced rate. We all get them. Not every gig is the top end of the market rate, well mine aren't, so for 6 months, maybe a year you've effectively taken an average gig but gained the experience and if it's not for you then you leave.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Because

1) it’s not an important question
                    2) it’s an impossible to answer question
                    This. 100% this.
                    If money is the most important thing in your life, in my opinion you need to re-evaluate your priorities. No point being the richest loner in the graveyard.
                    And the impossibility of the question is because we don’t know the details of personal circumstances (amongst other things). If you have other sources of income, if you have a Ltd co with more than 1 director, if your pension is maxed out, if you have tax saving structures, if you like to go on holiday and leave work behind, if you don’t need to take more than the minimum out of your company cause you live with your parents and they pay most/all the bills… so many things make the question impossible to answer.

If the question was easy to answer, then there would be no need for accountants, you could go onto a government website and put in an hourly rate and get the exact equivalent annual salary.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X