• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The grass is not always greener

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    I get paid regardless whether I work during my lunchbreak or not.
    Permie!!!!
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

And likewise there's often a little bully who can't see a professional discussion is not the place for personal attacks. Off you trot to General. The number of typos in your post makes it seem like you were probably typing with one hand getting all excited.

Comment

Similar story to mine....

Got converted to perm after 12 months as a contractor & a very well known investment bank in Canary Wharf......

Original hiring manager was a very nice person & decent human being!

They moved to another part of the business due to internal politics......the replacement is an absolute bell-end & morning to night nightmare!!

Constantly micro-managing
        Does not have a clue about pretty much anything work or otherwise
        Gets aggressive when challenged
        Does not want to hear anything except yes
        Hiring all their best friends (who also do not have a clue about anything)
        Trying to push all the existing well establish team members out (does not care if they resign or move to another team)
        Everything this new manager touches is a total disaster yet they will never ever accept they are the big problem & do not know the solution
        Will not delegate anything to anyone else except their recently hired best friends

It's so bad I am looking to move from perm back to contracting ASAP for mental health reasons its simply not worth the stress & hassle of dealing with such an individual as this (who has almost 20 years service so not likely to be leaving anytime soon are they!)

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post

Constantly micro-managing
          Does not have a clue about pretty much anything work or otherwise
          Gets aggressive when challenged
          Does not want to hear anything except yes
          Hiring all their best friends (who also do not have a clue about anything)
          Trying to push all the existing well establish team members out (does not care if they resign or move to another team)
          Everything this new manager touches is a total disaster yet they will never ever accept they are the big problem & do not know the solution
          Will not delegate anything to anyone else except their recently hired best friends

Almost a complete checklist for toxic workplace bingo.

I would add:

- Sh!ts on everyone below, fawns over upper management.
          - Disconnects team from upper management (all news passes through them, they control the narrative/ claim the credit for success, also maximises blame control)
          - Congratulates individuals face to face, snipes about others behind their backs (keeps team on edge, plays people against each other)

And voilà, you have a typical toxic I.T banking environment
          ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post

Got converted to perm after 12 months as a contractor & a very well known investment bank in Canary Wharf......
            Can you provide a clue which one?

I worked at a European one and was shocked at the quality of many of the staff. The place was full of Directors and MDs who you could tell put more effort into keeping their job than actually doing it.

That said it was really easy to shine.

Comment

Unfortunately in my experience all those places operate on the Peter Principle. You need to be a D or MD for big bucks so getting it becomes the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post
                Unfortunately in my experience all those places operate on the Peter Principle. You need to be a D or MD for big bucks so getting it becomes the job.
                Very few in technology make MD.

No idea what a director gets paid but my guess is that it is a very broad salary range. The same for VPs but I suspect few VPs make over £150k

Comment

Working...
                X