• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Check/Clearance transfer - how long should it take?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Check/Clearance transfer - how long should it take?

I've signed a contract for a role that was meant to begin weeks ago that required a clearance to be transferred. It's been about 3-4 weeks now - longer than the initial application to be cleared took (which was 2 weeks)

How long does it normally take (I know this is a variable, but what's considered reasonable?) and at what point do you cut your losses?

I know this is the name of the game, but I've lost thousands of pounds waiting for this to happen and at some point I need to say "no more".

Particularly interested in people who've recently had their SC transferred and how long theirs took.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Normal? You've been around the block to know there is no normal in contracting, particularly when it comes to SC.

Have you checked and double checked everyone has what they need? We've a number of threads highlighting mistakes in the chain. Paragraph right at the bottom of the opnening post for example.
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...ansferred.html

Then there was PC's debarcle and turns out he didn't even have it.

Have you checked with all parties they've got the requests, the right people hold your SC and so on?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've always been paid whilst waiting for SC to come through.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

What I normally say - give UKSV a call. They're nice people and will give help and advice where they can: 01904 662644

Not UKSV / SC, but to give an idea, the NPPV application hiatus has been extended due to the volume of work they have; no transfers or new applications until sometime in October now.

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
          What I normally say - give UKSV a call. They're nice people and will give help and advice where they can: 01904 662644

Not UKSV / SC, but to give an idea, the NPPV application hiatus has been extended due to the volume of work they have; no transfers or new applications until sometime in October now.
          What's going on with NPPV?
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            I've always been paid whilst waiting for SC to come through.
            You sat there charging them with no work to do? Or worked uncleared?
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

You can work supervised or be restricted so you can't view sensitive documents. SC is to provide a certain level of assurance that you can be trusted with sensitive data. If you don't have access to it or are supervised then you can get on and work. For many roles you may not have direct access to it but be in an environment it's available so there are ways around it. If you are working directly with it then you are a bit screwed so would be sensible to not let you start. It's all on a risk based approach so no one single answer.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What's going on with NPPV?
                Core-Vet (NPPV portal) has been closed for a month for new applications and transfers. Was meant to re-open Sep 19th but now pushed back to Oct 3rd to allow the processing backlog to be addressed.

Comment

lots to do that doesn't require clearance. But then I'm an architect not a developer.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've jsut applied for it. I am told by the client company they are typically taking 3 months at the moment

Comment

Working...
                    X