• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how long do you typically stay on a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

one guy (who was a developer and had written a lot of the systems) had been there 14 years.
    That was a bit stupid of them....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

That was a bit stupid of them....
      Them being the client or the developer?

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

Them being the client or the developer?
        I'm guessing 'them' instead of 'him' answers the question. I don't think SE is young enough to be using them/they pronouns for people.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm guessing 'them' instead of 'him' answers the question. I don't think SE is young enough to be using them/they pronouns for people.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	catty.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	4235752

Meeeow!!!
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I do use them/they for people but in this instance the developer was given the pronoun "he" so there was no need.

And yes it was clearly the client who was stupid.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

And yes it was clearly the client who was stupid.
              Without a doubt

Comment

sometimes you are genuinely just bringing something they need for a few days or weeks, to cover a gap in their knowledge, or maybe they just want a fresh set of eyes to look at an issue, or troubleshoot. sometime you are covering a peak in their work which they cannot cope with internally. sometimes its a longer term project that they want doing, but without a long term perm headcount. sometimes they simply cannot get anyone to take the job perm, and so it can be very long term as a contractor.

all are valid.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                  but without a long term perm headcount. sometimes they simply cannot get anyone to take the job perm, and so it can be very long term as a contractor.
                  Current place, very well known public sector, can't hire people like me because of low salary bands. Some contractors been here 5 or 6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

Current place, very well known public sector, can't hire people like me because of low salary bands. Some disguised permies been here 5 or 6 years.
                    FTFY

Comment

FTFY
                      well, quite

Comment

Working...
                      X