• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how long do you typically stay on a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dranzer01 View Post

And everything you have mentioned is the moral part of things. People just 'leave' for whatever reason they see fit. Yes there are contracts which people need to adhere to, I'm not here to judge whoever decides to take whatever action. The question was a question. Some people are squeaky clean in their approach to life/work and some aren't.
    Maybe but we aren't in the business of giving stupid/illegal advice on a professional forum.

And it's not moral, it's legal.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Longest 4.5 years, two 2.5 years there as well.... Hardly any short ones to be honest.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Longest 4.5 years, two 2.5 years there as well.... Hardly any short ones to be honest.
        Proper gig. None of this inside rubbish.

Comment

Currently been doing this one for 8 years which beats the previous one of 7 years. They're now offering me a partnership, just working out the details (made me a Distinguished Engineer a couple of weeks ago, which was nice)
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I once had a perm job where a couple of contractors had been there around 10-12 years. Yesterday whilst discussing IR35 with a colleague at a new gig, he mentioned someone he had worked with a few years back had been at one client for 15 years. Can anyone beat that?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              I once had a perm job where a couple of contractors had been there around 10-12 years. Yesterday whilst discussing IR35 with a colleague at a new gig, he mentioned someone he had worked with a few years back had been at one client for 15 years. Can anyone beat that?
              JohnTheBike could I believe.

Comment

Admittedly a big chunk was pre-IR35 and I believe he declared himself inside when it did but there was a contractor who did a couple of decades at my last permanent employer.

Kind of made sense as he had no mortgage, lived locally and didn't want any management responsibility.

The same company put contractors on courses for new technology though.

Comment

I believe that Gary Lineker is a contractor and he's been with the BBC since around 1995...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    I believe that Gary Lineker is a contractor and he's been with the BBC since around 1995...
                    Yeah and that is working out well for him isn't it
                    https://www.ftadviser.com/regulation...-9m-ir35-case/

Comment

Yep last place. They decided all contractors who'd been there more than 2 years were going at the end of their contract.

I'd been there 4.5 years but one guy (who was a developer and had written a lot of the systems) had been there 14 years.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X