• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yes, it's 100% remote but you have to stay in the UK - why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it's 100% remote but you have to stay in the UK - why?

Unlike the situation I described yesterday, there are clients who seem to be genuinely offering 100% remote gigs but are adamant I have to work from the UK. Why it is so important to them? Why British companies are so afraid of overseas contractors? Why they are so keen to prevent me from spending one third on rent and food of what would have spent in the UK?

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
    Unlike the situation I described yesterday, there are clients who seem to be genuinely offering 100% remote gigs but are adamant I have to work from the UK. Why it is so important to them? Why British companies are so afraid of overseas contractors? Why they are so keen to prevent me from spending one third on rent and food of what would have spent in the UK?
    Data Security

We've covered this before - do a search... And if you don't like it take a different job.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Data Security
      No, those clients were not government. And I struggle to see how client's data will be fundamentally more secure in the UK than say in Spain.

Comment

No, those clients were not government. And I struggle to see how client's data will be fundamentally more secure in the UK than say in Spain.
        There is also equipment. I was allowed to log in to work on my phone abroad the other week but not take their kit. At the end of the day it's not your risk to take. Many things don't make sense to use but they are there. Sometimes it is what it is and there is no point arguing it.

It's not just goverment clients that are touchy about data offshore you know.

There is also the fact your contract is governed by UK law so christ knows what that means legally if you are abroad. Client won't want to spend money investigating that and other elements like security and insurance so just say no as there is zero benefit to them and they certainly won't be changing policies for country hoping contractors.

It's all discussed in the other threads. Use the google search method <keywords> site:forums.contractoruk.com in google
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No, those clients were not government.
          Medical/Pharma, banking, anything that handles consumer data?

As for your comment about how you spend your money, if they wanted/were allowed to go offshore, they wouldn't pay UK contractor rates and would choose contractors that cost them a lot less.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Bluntly, because you're not important enough to them.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Medical/Pharma, banking, anything that handles consumer data?

As for your comment about how you spend your money, if they wanted/were allowed to go offshore, they wouldn't pay UK contractor rates and would choose contractors that cost them a lot less.
              What British law prevents them from using offshore businesses (not employees)?

Comment

What British law prevents them from using offshore businesses (not employees)?
                Nothing, but it's a question of risk. And from your side, what about your insurance in this scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

Nothing, but it's a question of risk. And from your side, what about your insurance in this scenario?
                  If inside ir35, insurance is irrelevant.

​​​​​If not, one will have insurance and I don't know if it has geographic limitation. But it doesn't matter as the insurer will not know where you were when an insurance event happen.

if one feels adventurous, client doesn't need to know. If executed right they will never know.
                  I actually helped a few people doing it. 12 months and 2 extensions, all is good.

Comment

Originally posted by gisp View Post
                    If inside ir35, insurance is irrelevant.

​​​​​If not, one will have insurance and I don't know if it has geographic limitation. But it doesn't matter as the insurer will not know where you were when an insurance event happen.

if one feels adventurous, client doesn't need to know. If executed right they will never know.
                    I actually helped a few people doing it. 12 months and 2 extensions, all is good.
                    If inside, arguably more complex, no longer a B2B contract/invoicing. Assuming you qualify as a tax resident, things can quickly get complex - not so much about pulling the wool over the client's eyes, more about the host country coming knocking for its pound of flesh.

Comment

Working...
                    X