• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yes, it's 100% remote but you have to stay in the UK - why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

The real reason is that they are paying for the work to be done and are free to dictate how and where it is done.

If you don't like it don't take the contract.

And what if it doesnt state such a thing in the contract...? But they may say it whilst youre in the contract?

Comment

Originally posted by dranzer01 View Post

And what if it doesnt state such a thing in the contract...? But they may say it whilst youre in the contract?
      Your contract (in the old days) should stipulate your working place. It used to have the office on it. Now they've been a bit slap dash and put remote without considering over seas options. They are assuming it is remote from your home office in the UK. It's generally the agency that draft the contract so that's why they haven't clarrified because they don't know the clients policies.

They'll only change that once they start getting lots of people asking for this and then will change the contract to suit. So at the moment it's an ommission but you are driven by the clients policies which aren't in the contract.

Assume it's UK based and you'll have to ask specifically about overseas. Best thing to do is speak to the agency to get guidance before you start. Just because it's not in the contract doesn't mean you've got open season to work where you want. Common sense should kick in here as you should know clients will want a say in overseas work.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dranzer01 View Post
        That depends on why they say it or how they say it.

There can be thousands of "what ifs" but without knowing the specifics of who the client is and why they are saying it, then it's just a futile discussion.

A contract will not specify every single rule and regulation that applies to a particular business, but that doesn't mean that a supplier is exempt from those rules and regulations.

My current contract mentions $15million insurance. It doesn't mention GDPR, or the other 15+ courses I had to do to allow me access to the systems and permission to talk to other suppliers/customers/etc. It also didn't mention specific NDAs that MyCo has had to sign, etc.
        I could argue that I don't need to do certain things because my role does not involve a particular area, but it is easier and safer for the client to have a blanket rule for all IT suppliers, than it is to tailor rules to each individual.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Remember also a contract has to be negotiated. To accept it like it's a given is permie thinking. If you want to work somewhere specific you negotiate it and get it put in. To just get given one and then moan about it is your failure, not the client or the agent. It's a two way document agreeing the work to be done. You have input in to it as well.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Perhaps they've geofenced their SaaS and VPN systems, office 365 etc?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Bluntly, because you're not important enough to them.
              Well, if you are important to your client that means you undersell your services.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                [Yes, it's 100% remote but you actually have to do some work - why?]

Coming soon on ContractorUK
                Well, if anyone knows how to be paid well, regularly and without doing any work, I am all ears
                But jokes aside, I understand the client needs some work done but I am not sure why the client wants me to stay in wet weather paying through my nose for not so tasty food and shoebox accommodation.

Comment

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post

Well, if anyone knows how to be paid well, regularly and without doing any work, I am all ears
                  But jokes aside, I understand the client needs some work done but I am not sure why the client wants me to stay in wet weather paying through my nose for not so tasty food and shoebox accommodation.
                  Then the client wants someone better than you.

You’ve avoided answering the questions, you ignore the answer.
                  Thread closed.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                  X