• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Late IR35 status determination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    How, exactly? Using the client-led status disagreement process?

Exactly, and taking it to court, clients don't get final ruling on SDS disputes. I thought we are business people?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      People that have started new Outside contracts after the rules change - were you given SDSs before you started, or after?
      Always before. Would be odd to receive one after you start work.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

Exactly, and taking it to court, clients don't get final ruling on SDS disputes. I thought we are business people?
        What dispute procedure - the whole point is that it's a joke that doesn't exist....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Oh dear. How are you going to "take them to court" for fulfilling their statutory duties to provide a timely SDS, implement a client-led status disagreement process and to revise their SDS, at will, prior to the first payment from the client to the Fee Payer?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Oh dear. How are you going to "take them to court" for fulfilling their statutory duties to provide a timely SDS, implement a client-led status disagreement process and to revise their SDS, at will, prior to the first payment from the client to the Fee Payer?
            That is true actually, I was leading on the assumption payment was made.

Still, in practice, has a pretense of a SDS initially been given and swiped? Given typical payment terms it sounds like something that simply wouldn't happen in practice.

Comment

That is true actually, I was leading on the assumption payment was made.

Still, in practice, has a pretense of a SDS initially been given and swiped? Given typical payment terms it sounds like something that simply wouldn't happen in practice.
              For me it's incredibly easy for a bad actor (and believe me there are a lot of bad actors) to claim that a contract is outside IR35 and then reasons (contractor "behaviour"...) to switch it to inside later on....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                For me it's incredibly easy for a bad actor (and believe me there are a lot of bad actors) to claim that a contract is outside IR35 and then reasons (contractor "behaviour"...) to switch it to inside later on....
                Seems like a high risk play though, I've worked at FTSE companies having done far lesser transgressions against contractors with pretty bad outcomes in terms of future hiring.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to think a contractor found in the situation of SDS being swiped before first billing would just leave, take the tax hit on the month's invoice and jump. But I guess some people like getting slapped around.

Comment

Seems like a high risk play though, I've worked at FTSE companies having done far lesser transgressions against contractors with pretty bad outcomes in terms of future hiring.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to think a contractor found in the situation of SDS being swiped before first billing would just leave, take the tax hit on the month's invoice and jump. But I guess some people like getting slapped around.
                  It's a gamble though. Bird in the hand and all that. Can that contractor get another outside gig quickly? If they spend another month looking for an outside gig the now inside one could be the more profitable. What if the next one they get is inside and they are getting the same anyway?

Other factors like remote working or commute, tech, prestige come in to play as well I'd say.

But I agree. I'd stuggle to do a decent job at a client when the rugs been pulled like that.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's not a month though - it's 3 months quite possibly 4 months into the contract when they present you with the inside determination (remember the cut off point is the end client paying the first invoice which may easily be 90 days after the first timesheet & invoice was sent to the agency)

Now I definitely wouldn't be starting without an SDS saying outside but equally I wouldn't be 100% happy until I was x months down the line.

Comment

Working...
                    X