• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Almost 100 applications but only 10 or so callbacks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost 100 applications but only 10 or so callbacks

I left my last contract due it to being quite stressful. The last time I was out of a contract without anything lined up was Feb 2019 but it only took me a week to find something.

I’m quite a well rounded full stack developer with devops experience so I’ve made 3 CVs with different tech stacks to appeal to the 3 dev markets.

Been out of work for just over 3 weeks now and as the title states I’ve applied for almost 100 contracts but hardly any callbacks, I’ve had 3 interviews which haven’t got anywhere.

Is the market really flooded at the moment and is the competition high?

Guess I’m just looking for some reassurance as I haven’t been out of work this long in 10 years.

Is your LinkedIn profile up to date and have you flagged it as available for work (I don't do the extra config step which puts a naff looking "hire me" thing on your profile pic). That gets the attention of recruiters. Prefix your headline with "Available in June".

Then engage with a few posts here and there, comment if you can bring yourself to. Especially on things relevant to your target line of work / industry.

I am not a developer but that's where/how I get most of my work.

Comment

Originally posted by bradforester View Post
      I left my last contract due it to being quite stressful. The last time I was out of a contract without anything lined up was Feb 2019 but it only took me a week to find something.

I’m quite a well rounded full stack developer with devops experience so I’ve made 3 CVs with different tech stacks to appeal to the 3 dev markets.

Been out of work for just over 3 weeks now and as the title states I’ve applied for almost 100 contracts but hardly any callbacks, I’ve had 3 interviews which haven’t got anywhere.

Guess I’m just looking for some reassurance as I haven’t been out of work this long in 10 years.
      Why three different CVs?

Most developers can't really claim expertise for all of the technologies on a single CV let alone three.

Comment

I can't believe for one minute you've applied for 100 gigs that match you experience EXACTLY. I mean, not stuff you 'could' do or stuff you've touched for 10 mins.

You should only be apply for gigs that look like they've been written for you that you've done many times before and doing work you did in your last gig. A client wants someone that has oddles of experience in exactly what they want. If you are applying for something you might be able to do or you'd fancy a pop at then you are on a hiding to nowhere as there will be someone out there that is an exact match for the role. Permies can apply for 100's of random gigs as they themselves are the benefit to the client as skills can be trained but a conscientious person with a solid work ethic can't so they invest in the person. A client invests in a contractor that has the exact skills they need. If you don't have the exact skills, or very close then you are just wasting your time.

3 weeks still isn't that long even in this market but 100 applications in 3 weeks is wholly wrong. I'm finding it hard to believe there are even 100 developer gigs let alone that match you in that period.

Yes which is why what I say above is key.

EDIT : Just re-read.. Where I said 'skills' substitute it for 'skills AND experience'
        Last edited by northernladuk; 16 June 2022, 09:19.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Is your LinkedIn profile up to date and have you flagged it as available for work (I don't do the extra config step which puts a naff looking "hire me" thing on your profile pic). That gets the attention of recruiters. Prefix your headline with "Available in June".

Then engage with a few posts here and there, comment if you can bring yourself to. Especially on things relevant to your target line of work / industry.

I am not a developer but that's where/how I get most of my work.
          make that "available at the start of July". Sounds like a more in demand person rather than someone on the bench.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

make that "available at the start of July". Sounds like a more in demand person rather than someone on the bench.
            If it goes on for another month or two you might as well put 'Available to start after the World Cup'

Comment

Have you had someone review your CV? Even a friend or family. And perhaps try finding a role through your network.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I can't believe for one minute you've applied for 100 gigs that match you experience EXACTLY. I mean, not stuff you 'could' do or stuff you've touched for 10 mins.

3 weeks still isn't that long even in this market but 100 applications in 3 weeks is wholly wrong. I'm finding it hard to believe there are even 100 developer gigs let alone that match you in that period.
                Without knowing me personally I find this quite judegmental. I have done lots of things over the years for much longer than 10 mins.

Jobserve: 64
                CWjobs: 10
                LinkedIn: 7
                Pro contract jobs: 10

Have screenshots if you want them. All ranging from frontend, backend and devops. I am a fullstack developer and have been in the business for almost 20 years so have cross over experience in a lot of different things.

Comment

Originally posted by tl97 View Post
                  Have you had someone review your CV? Even a friend or family. And perhaps try finding a role through your network.
                  I think I might start asking people to do this. I have also been proactively calling recruiters to try and get ahead of the email applications but nothing yet. Not gonna stop trying just yet.

Comment

It could be the start of the next IT jobs downturn.

US Tech stocks have been down for a while.

But the S&P 500 blue chips entered a bear market only last week.

Cypto has crashed as well with layoffs in that sector.

Base interest rates going from 0 to 3.5%

Hiring freezes will come first.

Followed by rate cuts and layoffs.

I think the next 12 - 18 months are going to be brutal.

3 weeks on the bench is going to seem like a picnic.
                    Last edited by Fraidycat; 16 June 2022, 09:39.

Comment

Working...
                    X