• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

bumping rates due to inflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working remotely for the past 2 years+ has made me reluctant to ask for a rate increase, as I've been accustomed to travelling for work over the years.

Inflation doesn't come into it in my mind - there is only market price. If you are unhappy with your rate, and have reason to believe you are worth more (preferably based on evidence), then of course ask for more or go elsewhere.

Establishing trust from zero with a new client takes time, and it doesn't always lead to better conditions down the line.

Current client is in the top 3 of my working life, so perspective plays a part. If it was bottom 3, I would already have left, or asked for eye watering rate increases to ameliorate my ennui/ trigger my contract termination.
    ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

If you don't secure it now, you'll be hard pressed to ask again.

If you have leverage, go for it. Just don't stick around if they say no, you'll look a right mug.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

only if their incoming costs also increase. Which for a contractor isn't the case.
        Have you ever got an inflation based rate increase?
        Do you know anyone who ever did?
        That sort of increase is for permies.
        So I respectfully disagree with you.

Anyway. before you just glibly say 'bad advice' like you always do. How about give the OP some useful suggestions. Just disagreeing with me isn't helpful, and the number of times you just disagree with others on here is getting to the point of trolling.
        The agency for my Inside contract have agreed an 11% uplift to cover NI & inflation increases. Increased costs is a hot topic right now and is being talked about by the man on the street, why do you think contingent workers won't be affected by increased costs elsewhere in their lives? Literally everything has gone up in price and it's expected that clients/employees meet that cost.

My Outside client have yet to be asked that question, but because it's Outside and mostly interesting I'm happy to absorb the effective rate "reduction".

"Trolling" It seems like many on here just sit around jerking each other off trying to ingratiate themselves with the other clique members, and get uppity at an opposing view.

Oh, and please find me another post where I've actually said bad advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

The agency for my Inside contract have agreed an 11% uplift to cover NI & inflation increases. Increased costs is a hot topic right now and is being talked about by the man on the street, why do you think contingent workers won't be affected by increased costs elsewhere in their lives? Literally everything has gone up in price and it's expected that clients/employees meet that cost.

My Outside client have yet to be asked that question, but because it's Outside and mostly interesting I'm happy to absorb the effective rate "reduction".

"Trolling" It seems like many on here just sit around jerking each other off trying to ingratiate themselves with the other clique members, and get uppity at an opposing view.

Oh, and please find me another post where I've actually said bad advice.

inside is a job… so you may well get permie protections.

good luck with getting an uplift for outside…
          IT’S NOT A “REDUCTION”

i never said you gave bad advice. You snipe from the edges and give no advice. Hence you’re just a troll.

If you think I, and others, are wrong (which I accept may be true) then how about telling the OP how to go about getting a rate increase due to inflation?

an ‘opposing view’ needs some actual information.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Increased costs is a hot topic right now and is being talked about by the man on the street, why do you think contingent workers won't be affected by increased costs elsewhere in their lives?
            Probably because most of us have worked with contractors who regularly imply how well off they are (even if in the majority of cases this actually turns out to be a 4 bed detached house and a mid life crisis sports car)

Comment

inside is a job… so you may well get permie protections.
              Nice moving of the goalposts there... Contracting is a job despite what the anoraks on here might say.

good luck with getting an uplift for outside…
              IT’S NOT A “REDUCTION”
              You can post in CAPS all you like it doesn't mean its any more valid, and it just marks you out as a bit of a simpleton.

i never said you gave bad advice. You snipe from the edges and give no advice. Hence you’re just a troll.
              "Snipe from the edges" I give plenty of advice should I have something to impart, rather than the actual trolls on here who have racked up thousands of posts while not really saying anything useful or having any real knowledge of the topic.

Comment

I give plenty of advice should I have something to impart
                so why are you commenting when you have nothing to impart?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

so why are you commenting when you have nothing to impart?
                  To highlight your bad advice. Thought that was obvious, even to someone who struggles with basic reading comprehension.

Comment

You can bump your rate as much as you like, if the market does not support it you won't get it. It has nothing to do with inflation, we are in a Demand / Supply market.

Comment

Ignore inflation. That's a consumer issue. You're a business. Your business doesn't pay for food, or fuel (generally speaking).
                      Businesses have staff costs and staff costs are pushed up by inflation, because all the businesses the staff buy from are putting their prices up.

It's entirely reasonable to put a sensible case to your client based on inflationary pressures, but whether they agree is another thing. More typically it would be done at renewal but there's nothing to stop you mid-contract if you have a strong argument, I suppose.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X