• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to the EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to the EU

With things getting worse and worse here, has anyone looked into working abroad as a contractor? Curious.

Spain or Portugal would be ideal, but thanks to the Will of the People there's now all sorts of hassles involved getting visa, work etc etc as to be expected.

As a tourist you're only able to visit for 90 days out of a 180 day period.

So basically I presume you'd have to take the 'work visa' approach. Perhaps open a company in the host company and employ yourself though that. Taxes might be much higher making that approach prohibitive.

Obviously the assumption here is your end clients are still UK based and WFH etc unless I suppose you have some super in demand skill.

Any thoughts?

Obviously it will vary from country to country, but bear in mind that opening a company and working through that may not give you a residency and/or work permit. You might not be able to open the company in the first place if you're not resident. Also, even with a work permit some countries don't allow for working for a foreign company.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post

Any thoughts?
      Yes, it's pretty easy if you have a EU passport

Comment

Or a Swiss one.

Comment

Why would UK end clients/agencies want to work with an overseas company if there plenty to chose from in the UK? Too complicated for most of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Why would UK end clients/agencies want to work with an overseas company if there plenty to chose from in the UK? Too complicated for most of them.
            A dearth of specific skills? That's how they get all those Indian consultants in.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              Why does any company ever contract for services with a company in another jurisdiction?

Perhaps it's because they offer something the client wants...

(Agencies, I agree, but you don't have to work with agencies.)

Comment

Moot point but perhaps I should've clarified any way. My contract is 100% WFH and runs till the end of the year (extension potential) I'd just like to spend the next 3-6 months somewhere new really and wish the logistics were straight forward when in fact they're seemingly not. Sigh.

Comment

Maybe Malta is an option for you. https://nomad.residencymalta.gov.mt/

Comment

Get an autónomo visa in Spain. It's basically a visa for freelancers/contractors.

Comment

Working...
                    X