• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saving for pension - any regrets?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in my early 30s, and contribute nothing to my pension despite having one Inside contract on a hefty rate so it's not an efficient way to operate. But £2500 in my current account every week now is better than stashing several hundred in a hidden pot somewhere and reducing my take-home.

Spend, spend, spend and worry later is my mindset. Short termism

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
      I'm in my early 30s, and contribute nothing to my pension despite having one Inside contract on a hefty rate so it's not an efficient way to operate. But £2500 in my current account every week now is better than stashing several hundred in a hidden pot somewhere and reducing my take-home.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but if not then you should seriously reconsider. The only reason my pension is not a total catastrophe (nearly) is due to generous pensions in early perm roles that have continued to grow over the last 25 years. If you can afford to reduce your weekly take home by just £200 (you can), then assuming you are inside IR35 that would translate to about £1500 a month in the pension pot. Do that for ten years in your thirties and, with a fair wind, it will double in real terms by your mid fifties and you will be half way to a reasonable retirement without even noticing. And believe me, your fifties will be upon you before you can blink.

Comment

The pot isn't hidden if it's a SIPP
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Only regret was the naive assumption that after careful stock selection you could basically hold onto them in your SIPP indefinitely without fear of losing in the long term. If like me you prefer stocks over funds, it's a reminder that you need to monitor your portfolio regularly, and be pragmatic when a company is no longer performing.

Market conditions do change, and all it takes is a change in leadership team whose bonuses are aligned to growth targets, recklessly taking on unsustainable debt, and the share price can collapse if their plan goes awry.
          ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

what rate you're on if you pocket 2500 pw on an inside role? fishy to say at least

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post

what rate you're on if you pocket 2500 pw on an inside role? fishy to say at least
              Note that he's got the same reputation level as you.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Note that he's got the same reputation level as you.
                yeah I'm just not sure if he's full of crap or his umbrella company using some "schemes"

Comment

There are plenty of inside gigs paying rates that net £2.5k weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

There are plenty of inside gigs paying rates that net £2.5k weekly.
                    You mean like 1000+ a day? I don't think there's that plenty, but what do I know, merely 600pd outside contractor

Comment

yeah I'm just not sure if he's full of crap or his umbrella company using some "schemes"
                      £2500 a week take home implies a day rate of £1000 or so.

Possible but rather unlikely given the type of person who commands that sort of rate.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X