• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saving for pension - any regrets?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the pension pots in the country will be fully spent next winter to pay for food, gas and electricity - don't need to worry about them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sub View Post
      Most of the pension pots in the country will be fully spent next winter to pay for food, gas and electricity - don't need to worry about them anymore.
      But government will come and save you. that's why you pay 60% tax

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
        My friend gave me idea: buy property in SPV and pay all income into pension, saving loads on tax. That might be the way

But assuming you need 3330£ per month net that would require SIGNIFICANT deposit to achieve that

Assuming rich 6% yield and 2.5% interest

You need about 250k deposit and tuliploads of stampduty ... but you get to have cake and eat it
        But that's not the point. Idea is to diversify should the worst happen but whatever. Up to you.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The government's assault on the lifetime allowance should make everyone think twice about investing further in a pension.
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

I'm just the wrong side of 40.

I went contracting relatively young (hence the username) and cashed in my single perm pension. It was only a few K but I thought 'why not use the money now than wait 40yrs'. Mistake 1

After a few years contracting I started maxing out contributions via a fairly expensive managed platform (mistake 2).

A few years ago I moved everything to a SIPP and went the Buffet/Bogle route, to lower the fees and because I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm a risk adverse person so I never did the multiple property thing (mistake 3) and up until a few years ago everything was in the SIPP basket, other than the warchest (retained profit) of 3-4 years outgoings.

In recent years I've built up a stocks ISA (covering about 3 years outgoings) and some cash savings (couple of years outgoings) and if all goes to plan I will have the 'problem' of the LTA before I hit 50. I'm inside for the first time ever, so still maxing out the contributions for tax efficiency and will do that for at least another 2-3 years to help mask the pain and bitterness of using an umbrella and being PAYE.

Current thinking is to work a little less, spend a little more and taper work down as 50 approaches...but who knows.

I can't say I've regretted putting money into a pension, but that's because otherwise it would have sat in my business account and I would have had even less idea of what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
              The government's assault on the lifetime allowance should make everyone think twice about investing further in a pension.
              Weirdly, I happened to see this recently. It gives a couple of different options

https://youtu.be/hqfsfpK8WZU

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I view this as trolling - take care on Professional forums PC…
                All joking aside, with pension credit, those who don't have enough can get pension credit to top it up to a certain level. I know a lot of people with this mindset.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

All joking aside, with pension credit, those who don't have enough can get pension credit to top it up to a certain level. I know a lot of people with this mindset.
                  EDIT : Post removed for squabbling which is annoying members.

MODS : Are you going to do anything about PC ever?
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 22 April 2022, 16:02.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I'm sure you do. Explains your poor attitude to everything. Birds of a feather flocking and all that.

You get a warning about trolling and you are still doing it. There are a lot of qualifying criteria about pension credit that no contractor will meet so you are just spreading misinformation with zero facts or basis. Not one of your posts about benefits ends well for you so why do you continue to do it?
                    And you continue to be a rude jerk in the professional forums which also isn't allowed. Hypocrisy much?

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    I have noticed an increase in squabbling and bickering in the Professional forums of late.

I am not amused.

I do not care who starts the squabbling. I will finish it by banning all participants. The more persistant the squabbling the longer the ban.

Feel free to disagree and correct but please show respect for all posters on these forums.

I hope I've made myself clear.
                    How about you stop being a jerk and in particular, stop being a jerk targeting individual members, outside of General. Moderators don't require your help. If you can't restrain yourself from bickering with (bullying) certain members, use the ignore feature for your own good and everyone else's. I can't be the only one sick of it.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                      The opposite is true. Pensions are such great value the government are trying to reduce the damage. I am intending to try and hit the lifetime allowance and retire on that day.

Comment

Working...
                      X