• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you say...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you say...

...when a company asks you why you want to work with them?

Do they expect something more than "because I'm free and I could do with the money"?

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Do they expect something more than "because I'm free and I could do with the money"?
    ...because money can be exchanged for goods and services.

I absolutely detest companies that try and sell working for them as a lifestyle choice.

Comment

IMO you shouldn't be contracting if you can't work this out. Selling yourself and securing the gig is part of the job. Contracting 101 surely.

So you have to think on your feet and give them a bit of warm and cuddly guff. It's not hard. Loads of bog standard stuff you can recycle. Project is interesting, interesting tech, use previous experience again, you find the vertical industry interesting. Absolutely anything that doesn't look like you are doing for the money. This should be second nature to a contractor.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Read the company website and say some bull read from the website.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

"What I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a highly valued supplier for people like you.
          If you give me a contract now, that'll be the end of it. I will work with you, I will invoice you. "
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Ugh. What a crappy question.

I tend to waffle about the project sounding interesting and a good opportunity for me to use xyz skills.

Comment

“You have a situation that requires change. I have the skills to help with that change”.

It’s worked for me in the past.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Fortunately that's always easy for as its usually a different bit of an aircraft system that I'm curious to how its works. So I can be truthful.

Not so with one huge aero engine manufacturer in the midlands, it that case the truth is "because I'm into into self flagellation" otherwise known as there's nothing else around!
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  “You have a situation that requires change. I have the skills to help with that change”.

It’s worked for me in the past.
                  Ooh classy. Nicking that.

Comment

I don't recall ever being asked this for a contract - it's more of a question for a permie role surely?

If the question ever came up for a contract, I think I'd be more concerned that the interviewer didn't really understand the type of resource he was attempting to engage.
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                    X