• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slippery agent behaviour.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applied for a gig, agent said they'd submitted CV, they'd actually binned it.
    Fortunately I also went straight to the client chasing it up, they obviously had no knowledge of the CV, sent it and got the gig.
    Then comes the 'congrats' call from the agent. Who proceeded to get whatever sign-on bonus and skimming of day rate for doing nothing - no, less than nothing, as they actively conspired against me getting the gig.

Of course the client couldn't just directly offer me the contract as they are locked in to some exclusivity deal with the agency.

Why do companies enter into such deals with these ****s ?
    They appear to offer zero value whatsoever other than skimming money from both client and supplier and clicking 'print to pdf' every now and again.

Comment

Originally posted by Paracelsus View Post
      Fortunately I also went straight to the client chasing it up, they obviously had no knowledge of the CV, sent it and got the gig.
      Then comes the 'congrats' call from the agent. Who proceeded to get whatever sign-on bonus and skimming of day rate for doing nothing - no, less than nothing, as they actively conspired against me getting the gig.

Of course the client couldn't just directly offer me the contract as they are locked in to some exclusivity deal with the agency.

Why do companies enter into such deals with these ****s ?
      They appear to offer zero value whatsoever other than skimming money from both client and supplier and clicking 'print to pdf' every now and again.
      That is appalling.

Comment

I went to an interview with the FCA and it became clear to me that the interviewer was using me for free consulting. He asked me very little about why I wanted to work there and my general experience; instead he kept pressing me for details of how our team was structured in my previous role (which was a role similar to the one I was interviewing for), the tech we used, how we did CI/CD, how we productionalised data science apps, etc. Then after the hour was up, he claimed to have another meeting. The agent then ghosted me.

Comment

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
          I went to an interview with the FCA and it became clear to me that the interviewer was using me for free consulting. He asked me very little about why I wanted to work there and my general experience; instead he kept pressing me for details of how our team was structured in my previous role (which was a role similar to the one I was interviewing for), the tech we used, how we did CI/CD, how we productionalised data science apps, etc. Then after the hour was up, he claimed to have another meeting. The agent then ghosted me.
          You want ethical behaviour from a regulator?

Sure the interviewer was an FCA guy, rather than a spare MBA from one for the Big 4 integrators? That's their kind of a trick; we spent near £30k on one proposal for a Department, total project cost up around £25m. The next we heard the consultancy had hired some mickey consultancy to build and install it (nothing wrong with the design, they forgot - or CBA more likely - to involve the client's service management team in the installation). Then we heard it was a total failure; oddly enough we decided not to rebid for the work.
          Last edited by malvolio; 3 April 2022, 13:46.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Back when I was permie and a much younger BlueSharp. I had an offer but turned it down as I thought the interviewer who I would of worked for was a complete anchor. Said agent then contacted my current employer, naming me as someone who is about to leave and would they like to the agent to send interviewee's over.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

More incompetent than slippery but...

A few years ago I signed up with 'a new kind of recruitment platform' that promised details would be hidden from current employers.

One of their reps demoed the product to the firm I was working for at the time.

A quick keyword search later my CV is projected onto the screen for my manager, senior members of the department and of course myself to peruse.

The idiot doing the demo hadn't twigged that using his 'in house' login rather than one associated with my firm would not filter current employees from the search.
              Last edited by TheDude; 4 April 2022, 14:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Paracelsus View Post
                Same thing is happening to me.

Last year I applied for a role via an agent. Agent came back to me like 2 months later saying client wanted to interview me but by then I had already accepted another offer.

Fast forward to 3-4 weeks ago, I spot a job advert that looked familiar and posted by the same agent. Turns out it's for the same client so I get my details put forward. Radio silence since then. So last week I found the role in the career section of the client's website, I applied and this morning the client invited me to an interview.

So yeah, nothing new under the sun, most agents are a bunch of weasels.

Comment

Just commenting so I can see the new posts
                  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                    Just commenting so I can see the new posts
                    You could just kit the subscribe button at the top of the page....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I am an ex-agent, I like to say something and let the contractors do it for me.
                      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                      X