• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 Contracts at same time - Outside IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

But you don't bill 3 clients each at 16 hours per day.
    Obviously not.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Cannon situation is so different it's not worth him coming in every thread on this. He's not a bum on seat contractor, or at least not all his gigs are and he's obviously double billing his clients and they wouldn't be happy with it but he's experienced enough to get away with it and not let it bother him.

Him popping up on these threads saying he does it with absolutely no detail is of little use to the OP's posting as he's a world apart from them in situation, experience and attitude to risk. I am sure he does what he does quite successfully but it is not in context with the question being asked by these types of posters.
      There is one trick that I do use though, whilst I tell the clients everything (they don't care - they just want projects delivered) - I never tell the agency that I am a consultancy until the client is hooked in Agencies see consultancies as competition and prefer lone contractors.

Comment

For the majority of contractors seeing WFH as an opportunity to double bubble it's a really bad idea because they can't be honest with the client about why they can't make the 0930 stand up that clashes with the 0930 stand up their other client(s) want them to be at.

If you're using client kit, you have multiple diaries to keep in sync to ensure they don't double book you!

There is nothing illegal about having multiple clients, that's how pretty much all businesses run. What you could come a cropper with are your contractual terms and being found in breach of those.

Comment

Why do people keep asking this question? I have a company am I allowed more than one client? Just think for a second.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Why do people keep asking this question? I have a company am I allowed more than one client? Just think for a second.
            AS have I. What you have to be very clear on is that you can't book the same hour to two different clients*; that's where the risk lies. As long as you keep a strict separation and record your time honestly and accurately there's no problem.

* Actually not strictly true; if you are writing a piece of code that is equally applicable to both, for example, then you can, but in all honesty should perhaps pro rata the charge between them.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              You need to take your own advice. Look at the scenario in detail, what you are delivering, what's the contract say and so on and then you can answer the question. Of course you are allowed one client but it comes down to the details of the engagement. If you are booked 9-5 with a client then you are not available for a new client. It's not hard.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                If you are booked 9-5 with a client then you are not available for a new client. It's not hard.
                Essentially everyone is a bum on seat contractor then?

So, IR35 was a good thing then it would seem...

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

No but the point is that if you have a contract where you are expected to be available between 9 to 5, it's very hard to run a second identical contract at the same time.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

HMRC seem to think so, as well quite a few clients now they have to make the decision

I think we've always said, well some of us have, that there are many many roles that are no way outside. Plenty of gigs in big pharma long gigs, banking etc that went on 5 years plus for example. Those people have been looking over their shoulders from day one. Nothing wrong with applying IR35 where it clearly fits but the new legislation will hopefully now push clients to start using/treating contractors as contractors. Granted swathes have been moved inside but anyone with a hole in their bum could see they were anyway.

But either way not really, you can be truely outside but still be tied to client times. Many of the offshore bods are and they are consultancies which should be outside. Not every engagement needs to be or can be delivering a product in your own time.

Last edited by northernladuk; 22 January 2022, 17:51.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have certainly had contracts where I could have taken on another contract 95% of the time but we all have to attend meetings and clients are going to be asking why you can't make one.

We are also in a fairly unique situation at the moment with work from home. Most of the contracts I am looking at are remote at the moment and some may stay that way but I imagine the drift back to offices is going to accelerate come spring which will make doing two at once tricky (unless paid by deliverables).

Comment

Working...
                      X