• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice for emotional energy in securing a role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for emotional energy in securing a role

I've got a couple of interviews lined up. One of the roles I really want, it's a great opportunity, they'll sponsor the successful candidate through SC, is something different but I can see I can add a lot of value. I'm going all in.

How do folks deal with that emotional attachment to roles and the subsequent disappointment if not successful. It's something I've struggled with in the perm world, and am coming to the conclusion that in the contracting world, everything has to be more transactional, less emotional and focused on generating income. Of course, we're all human and so I'd welcome any thoughts and advice.

Thanks.

You have to be pessimistic about it. If you assume you won't get the role then you won't be disappointed if you don't, but much, much happier if you do.

One hard part of contracting is being totally on your own. You have to look at each possible engagement as being just that, possible rather than likely. Wait until you spend serious effort crafting an application for a role you know you can do and never hear another word. Most of your applications will go that way...

The other is knowing you don't have a fallback position; unlike a permie you're looking because you don't have (or are about not to have) a job. Which is why our standard advice is to have money for at least six months' outgoings saved up.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's now your bottom line that is being affected. Your income is directly impacted by your decisions now. There is no wage that just turns up. Make the wrong decision and you get zero income. That tends to crystalize the situation and help with the decision process.

You still get a range of contractors with attitudes from complete mercenary, through a certain level of professionalism and to some that still bend too much to the client and don't think of themselves. You will just have to decide what you are. The full on mercenary looking after number one and screw everyone else is a very unattractive look and personally I don't think it's needed. PC is like that and he looks like a right bell end when there is no need. Jumping gigs just for some 10's of pounds an no other reason is not good business in my book. Treat your clients with respect, look for mutual solutions and try accommodate them when making your decisions but remember it's your income so you come first is a reasonable mid ground. You don't want to be lead by the client to the point you put yourself out of work.

I do personally struggle with emotional and professional attachment to roles. I won't just ship for another 50 quid a day as long as I'm happy at a rate I am comfortable with and does hack me off when a gig ends before everything is landed and you know you'll get the blame the minute you've left. That said every time that is happened I was only hacked for for a couple of days after. Once it's done it's done and it's onwards and upwards.

Regarding disappointment if not successful. You've got to get past that and quick or you'll have a bit of a mare. Doesn't seem to be an issue nowadays but back in the day when there were hundreds of applications per role you were applying and interviewing endlessly to secure one and we had quite a few posts of people losing the will to live and getting down about it. That's human nature to a certain level but it's fire and forget. You cannot get excited every time you apply for a role. Give it your best shot and move on. If you get hung up on every one you apply for and lose you'll have a very miserable contracting career. In this area it's just a matter of getting a bigger sack of tatties and moving on.

There will be hundreds of great roles you really want but got to tell yourself it's just another role, another one will be along shortly. Don't get hung up on it. Being a contractor isn't the stuff you do at a client. Anyone can do that, even crap perms. Being a contractor is switching in to a sales head to secure roles, managing your company and dealing with the adhoc stuff before you hit the client so to be a good contractor you need to be able to deal with this area of life. It's your job now.

Just a word on the SC one as that's easy. Assume you'll never get sponsored for SC and you'll be in a much better place. They 'might' sponsor you but there will be many equally skilled people out there with SC and they will pick them over you every time. It can happen don't get me wrong but never get hung up on a role that needs clearance. 99 times out of a 100 it won't happen. Expect nothing, be pleasantly surprised when it does.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Fantastic advice, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by IsayIsayIsay View Post
          I've got a couple of interviews lined up. One of the roles I really want, it's a great opportunity, they'll sponsor the successful candidate through SC, is something different but I can see I can add a lot of value. I'm going all in.

How do folks deal with that emotional attachment to roles and the subsequent disappointment if not successful. It's something I've struggled with in the perm world, and am coming to the conclusion that in the contracting world, everything has to be more transactional, less emotional and focused on generating income. Of course, we're all human and so I'd welcome any thoughts and advice.

Thanks.
          Prepare to be ghosted if you are unsuccessful.

Comment

As in the agencies are you best friend until they're not?

Comment

As in the agencies are you best friend until they're not?
              Exactly that.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Exactly that.
                Yep. You are a commodity. Nothing more. Many people get upset they don't get 'feedback' after a failed interview or application. Often not even a call to say you were unsuccessful. Annoying and tad unprofessional yes but why should they. If you got it they would be on you like a rash, if you didn't you are dead to them. Silence is your feedback. Fire an application, do what is asked and move on to the next. Don't wait for the phone to ring. It will ring if you got it so you know the answer if it's not ringing. Move on.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How do folks deal with that emotional attachment to roles
                  It gets beaten out of you as the years roll by

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

It gets beaten out of you as the years roll by

That's made me smile after a long day... I am stating to be beaten down already!

Comment

Working...
                    X