• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I need to provide a sick note to end client if I am caught inside IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

What's wrong with that? If I was off sick, unless I was on my deathbed, I'd be advising I'm not in and outline what is outstanding to make sure the work continues smoothly. Even if you call in day by day you can give a 5 day update so they can plan around you.
    I do this this as permie, never mind as a contractor!

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      I do this this as permie, never mind as a contractor!
      Unless you are dead (or near enough) you keep just enough eye on things that nothing goes wrong. Which does mean 30 seconds in the morning forwarding meeting requests to a suitable replacement with an apology added or requesting postponement. It's really not difficult.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Does no-one use out of office notifications any more?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Does no-one use out of office notifications any more?
          It's more that people ignore them and the fact that because you are ill, outlook says you are out today but still around tomorrow so they just shift what would be a 5 minute call into a short con-call the following day.

Doing X rarely fixes a problem it just transforms issue A into issue B as people work around your illness in a way that is for their benefit and not yours.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Bit of a odd turn of events from a fairly legitimate question about contractual process of notification of absence which is only an issue for contractors to how to act professionally when sick which affects absolutely everyone in the world with a job.

We called out the client for acting inappropriately but as with many of these the other half of the story has come out and it appears now the OP has made a rod for their own back and almost forced the client to take action because they've not done what any professional person would have. Nice to see both sides of an issue for a change and certainly puts a different light on it.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X