• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going direct. Will this be a problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going direct. Will this be a problem?

I'm not a fan of agencies. I find them unnecessary and frankly the only person who should make money on my skills is me.

That said, I feel a bit guilty. I was put forward for a role by an agency and was successful. However, a senior colleague said I had been referred from the interviewer and she was from a different department. She made me an offer higher than the agency and we have now commenced onboarding.

Basically, the agency has been undercut. I feel bad a bit though but it's not personal. I want to know if this could be a problem. The role is different from the one I was put forward for.

Don't feel bad. If the agency had a chance to stab you in the back for the sake of financial gain you better believe that they would drop you. Look out for number 1.

Comment

Nothing to feel guilty about, you should pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Not only did you secure the job was put forward for. You also, based on your skills and ability impressed them to secure a role in another department. That is all down to you.

Wish all contracts could be direct.

Comment

This is business, nothing to feel bad about.

Comment

The only risk is the agency finding out

at which point they may decide to do nothing, or they may chase you for their fee or they may chase the end client.

so you best plan is to keep quiet and don't put this client on linkedIn until you've been there a while.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            The only risk is the agency finding out

at which point they may decide to do nothing, or they may chase you for their fee or they may chase the end client.

so you best plan is to keep quiet and don't put this client on linkedIn until you've been there a while.
            This ^^^^^^

and if it is genuinely a different role then there's no real problem for the OP.
            There might be a problem for the client though. They may have a signed agreement about poaching the offered resources. Without evidence the agency can't do a great deal, but with evidence they could make it so that the OP gets booted off site by the client to reduce hassle.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

This ^^^^^^

and if it is genuinely a different role then there's no real problem for the OP.
              There might be a problem for the client though. They may have a signed agreement about poaching the offered resources. Without evidence the agency can't do a great deal, but with evidence they could make it so that the OP gets booted off site by the client to reduce the end cost .
              FTFY, if hassle occurs it occurs, the question is will the firm pay the bill or mitigate it by getting rid of you asap to reduce the final bill
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BrandNewOne View Post
                I find them unnecessary and frankly the only person who should make money on my skills is me.
                They don't make money on your skills. They make money on matching you up with clients so you can make money on your skills.

Would you have the opportunity without an agent? So they are still unnecessary?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  They don't make money on your skills. They make money on matching you up with clients so you can make money on your skills.

Would you have the opportunity without an agent? So they are still unnecessary?
                  In this instance, you are right.

However i still think they make more money on our heads than they should.

There should be a way to directly get to the client without an agent. It's ridiculous that we need to use these agents.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandNewOne View Post

In this instance, you are right.

However i still think they make more money on our heads than they should.

There should be a way to directly get to the client without an agent. It's ridiculous that we need to use these agents.
                    You don't NEED to use agents. it's a choice.
                    You could try to get direct gigs yourself.
                    Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Working...
                    X