• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do agents take?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

That your point is ridiculous?
    Given that his point was that Hays were charging 5%, 5% is very reasonable but even then some contractors are going to complain that it's too much your entire post was both irrelevant and based on a complete misunderstanding of his point.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That your point is ridiculous?

I think your reading comprehension needs work.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

I think your reading comprehension needs work.
        OK, the bit I was taking exception to specifically was "they only take a pitiful 5%" when it isn't pitiful. It's actually about par for any large agency on a firm PSL contract and they are still making plenty out of it. Otherwise 10-15% for a non-PSL deal and more than that if the rate is at the lower end of the scale or the agency is taking the Michael (and Hays, having worked with them several times, don't do that - although their standard contract is an IR35 nightmare). Also, Hays aren't taking anything, you are.

But it's more matter of perspective than anything else, which is rather the whole point of the thread.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

OK, the bit I was taking exception to specifically was "they only take a pitiful 5%" when it isn't pitiful. It's actually about par for any large agency on a firm PSL contract and they are still making plenty out of it. Otherwise 10-15% for a non-PSL deal and more than that if the rate is at the lower end of the scale or the agency is taking the Michael (and Hays, having worked with them several times, don't do that - although their standard contract is an IR35 nightmare). Also, Hays aren't taking anything, you are.

But it's more matter of perspective than anything else, which is rather the whole point of the thread.
          Doubling down on your stupidity. Good stuff.

"they only take a pitiful 5%" when it isn't pitiful. It's actually about par for any large agency on a firm PSL contract and they are still making plenty out of it
          How many others do you know charge 5% margin? And is £150 from £3,000 plenty? You must be one of those guys who'd be satisfied only when the agency is making nothing from "leeching" off you and your highly in demand skills...

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

Doubling down on your stupidity. Good stuff.

How many others do you know charge 5% margin? And is £150 from £3,000 plenty? You must be one of those guys who'd be satisfied only when the agency is making nothing from "leeching" off you and your highly in demand skills...
            In that 5% Hays have to:-

1) Find the original contractor to fill the job
            2) run all the administration required for the contract paperwork
            3) handle timesheets (and pay the contractor in advance)
            4) (and under the new post April rules) take all the risk when HMRC decides the contract wasn't outside in the first place

5% is low because I don't think even Hays does it for 5% anymore more point 4 is in place.

Comment

There is much to be critical about with agents and certainly the industry has mutated in the last decade to one that has stopped any pretence of being interested in anything that doesn't bring them short term gain, e.g. not telling candidates the result of an unsuccessful interview to the point that avoiding them must take up more effort than a one line e-mail.

However they do provide a service. As previously mentioned they spend the time tracking down opportunities and putting them on job boards for us to see. More importantly in the majority of cases they essentially offer a factoring service for Contractor businsses by paying us (out commonly now) on 30 day terms while they might be on much longer than that.

There are a lot of poor agencies and agents out there and at times they don't help themselves but they do have a part to play.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

In that 5% Hays have to:-

1) Find the original contractor to fill the job
                2) run all the administration required for the contract paperwork
                3) handle timesheets (and pay the contractor in advance)
                4) (and under the new post April rules) take all the risk when HMRC decides the contract wasn't outside in the first place

5% is low because I don't think even Hays does it for 5% anymore more point 4 is in place.
                It works if you have a few thousand contractors on your books and PSLs with the major consultancies like they have - economies of scale and all that.

As for IR35, Hays have always erred on the side of IR35-caught contracts, I doubt they are even trying now, so there's not that much commercial risk involved.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It works if you have a few thousand contractors on your books and PSLs with the major consultancies like they have - economies of scale and all that.

As for IR35, Hays have always erred on the side of IR35-caught contracts, I doubt they are even trying now, so there's not that much commercial risk involved.
                  So you haven't got a clue what the post April world looks like - at least you've now confirmed it once and for all.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

So you haven't got a clue what the post April world looks like - at least you've now confirmed it once and for all.
                    I have, but it's not relevant to to the original point of the thread about who earns the money and who gets the rake off. Nor, really, about the agency margin rates in general, although I suspect Hays and others have differing margins for inside and outside roles.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have, but it's not relevant to to the original point of the thread about who earns the money and who gets the rake off. Nor, really, about the agency margin rates in general, although I suspect Hays and others have differing margins for inside and outside roles.
                      You've had a nightmare in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X