• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How carefully do you read a contract before signing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

If the contract would be terminated early by myself or the endclient I would have to pay the agency their missed revenue for the remaining contract period. (Harvey Nash - 2013)
    Oooooh that's a good one!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If the contract would be terminated early by myself or the endclient I would have to pay the agency their missed revenue for the remaining contract period. (Harvey Nash - 2013)
      I had similar but it was a smaller agency in 2008 and put in the extension. Had a fight getting some of the clauses removed.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Did they also tell you what margin they were on, or were they effectively asking you to sign a blank cheque?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Oooooh that's a good one!
          It's also a damned good demonstration of how agencies view their candidates and how their business model actually works. It's nothing to do with procuring the best talent for the role, just the most profitable.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

Did they also tell you what margin they were on, or were they effectively asking you to sign a blank cheque?
            Nope I told them remove the clause or I will walk away. They removed it.
            The end client (a city council) terminated half way through BTW, a new (clueless) IT director came in and thought it was an easy way to make some savings by getting rid of contractors and some permie came back from maternity leave, who they thought could do my job, which they couldn't, I found out later.

Comment

Seems to me the agency was either incompetent or trying to brush you off.
              Signing the contract is the final stage to closing the deal for the agent and the contractor. It’s in both interest to solve any last minute issues getting in the way, it’s give and take. If they won’t budge or claiming they don’t know who can do it then it’s probably a tactic. Be firm and tell them which clauses are red lines and be prepared to walk away from these and incomplete contracts. They should be focussed and keen at this point and need to demonstrate a willingness to negotiate with you and their own legal department. If you don’t sign they lose and they have to start over.

Comment

Working...
              X