• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning down contract after verbal acceptance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    yeah I appreciate it's very unlikely they'd do it but I was just thinking of the very extreme case of a petty company that says you signed a binding contract, we want you to start on the agreed date.
    The notice period in the early days will be a week or a month.

So you turn up and don't do anything while playing on your phone. No company is going to want that regardless of how petty they are.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

The notice period in the early days will be a week or a month.

So you turn up and don't do anything while playing on your phone. No company is going to want that regardless of how petty they are.
      +1 to this. Not only does your mate not do any work but there is time and money to on board him, the risk of giving him access when he's just going to leave and so on. It's just not going to happen. There are rules around contract and there is common sense which trumps all that.

You are way over thinking it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Additionally... They can't sue you for breach, they can't compel you to come to work (something to do with antislavery law). If you don't turn up, they either have to sack you (gross misconduct) or pay you (same as when people want to quit a job early). Guess which they'll choose?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Has this thread now lasted longer than PC on most of his contracts?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

It's the only one he's ever had that's not been locked or moved so we've got to make the most of it.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Politely decline the offer ASAP

Why the else would you actually turn up on day 1 and then leave.
              Turn up on Day 1? they'll be well pleased with that...
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                4 1/2 years last one big boy

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                  yeah I appreciate it's very unlikely they'd do it but I was just thinking of the very extreme case of a petty company that says you signed a binding contract, we want you to start on the agreed date.
                  Never in a million years - they'll just be pissed off....

Current client got a guy in as perm. Lived miles away (towards london). The pay was crap where I was - there was no way he was going to drive miles when he could paid more closer to home.

I could see it happening - didn't turn up first day then never heard from again.

Used to happen all the time to this client. Part of the reason was they were slow with the recruitment process (and the pay was crap) that people just found better offers in the interim.

Comment

Working...
                  X