• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bypassing pimp...in favour of another pimp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bypassing pimp...in favour of another pimp

Got called by a pimp recently, I'm pretty much a perfect match for the role, no idea about rates but it seems interesting so I told them I'll have a think, chat with current client etc. and get back to them. Pimp is from a UK based agency I heard about before, it's pretty tiny and I know of a few people who worked through them and said they're OK, but nothing outstanding. Currently I'm with a much larger agency / non-UK office where I have a very good relationship with a few people and it's miles better than anything I've encountered in the UK. They are actually so good I wouldn't mind carrying on them if the current contract ends.

Question: worth mentioning this gig to the current agency to see if they can "represent" me, or is it a waste of time and I should just stick to the pimp that contacted me?

It will end in tears. The original agent is likely to find out and complain they've got dibs on you and an argument will ensue which the client has no time for so will just bin you. Chances of current agent being on new clients PSL is pretty slim anyway so you are opening yourself up to a world of hurt for very little benefit.

Why not call them agents if you have a good relationship with them?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why on Earth would you ever think this was going to go well? Why would new-client want to suddenly start working with a new agent and take on all that risk?

If you want the job, go through the new agent - they have next to no bearing on your day to day. I had to call mine the other day and it took me 20 minutes to remember their name and who they worked for tbh
      Last edited by vwdan; 5 October 2021, 18:18.

Comment

Ditto the above, bad idea.

The agency you're with may not have a contract with the client and the client may not want a contract with them.

They also may not appreciate being cold called about the role and, if they've got a very short PSL, they'll soon figure out that the small agency perhaps gave away too much detail too soon (I say that as there's no rate yet which sounds like the client is sounding the market out first). That'll get back to the agency and, depending on how much info you gave them and what your cold calling pimp says, two and two will soon add up and you end up with the opportunity being withdrawn.

A good agency is great but at the end of the day they will drop you if you stop earning them money. If they are not presenting you with opportunities, then you drop them.

Comment

Yeah, I thought that this might be a tulipe idea...

The reason why I assumed it might work is because the current pimp is a massive agency and the job is with a big corp. I ignored the fact that the UK corp office might be looking to cut costs and go with smaller UK based agencies or simply have their preferences to work with smaller players.

Anyways, thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
            Got called by a pimp recently, I'm pretty much a perfect match for the role, no idea about rates but it seems interesting so I told them I'll have a think, chat with current client etc. and get back to them. Pimp is from a UK based agency I heard about before, it's pretty tiny and I know of a few people who worked through them and said they're OK, but nothing outstanding. Currently I'm with a much larger agency / non-UK office where I have a very good relationship with a few people and it's miles better than anything I've encountered in the UK. They are actually so good I wouldn't mind carrying on them if the current contract ends.

Question: worth mentioning this gig to the current agency to see if they can "represent" me, or is it a waste of time and I should just stick to the pimp that contacted me?
            TL;DR

The pimp works for the client, not for you
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
            X