• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else asked to stay back an 1hr or per day??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else asked to stay back an 1hr or per day??

3 months into 12 month (inside ir35)contract, prev worked abroad for 5 years, but due to personal reasons I need to be in the U.K. for the next few years.

1st month of the gig was fine (minus the obvious inside changes), but for the last 2 months, pretty much everyday, I’ve been asked daily by the person I’m reporting to at 3 or 4pm to ‘help out’ or ‘can you get this done for me by end of play?’.

Usually I’m done at 5, but for the past 2 months been finishing at 6 or 7pm, everyday, except a few fridays here & there. Spoke to a couple of other contractors (who’ve been there longer) they tell me it’s the ‘new norm’ & they’ve also stayed on late to finish things. Contract has my hours set at 37.5 (on a daily rate), but I’m doing around 45 or more, without comp for the additional hours.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is this really the new norm?

Whether it's the new norm or not ... just say no. If you're on £500 a day, your hourly rate just dropped from £66 to £55. 15% drop. Happy with that?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What is it that you are afraid, stopping you from saying 'no'?

Comment

You're contracted for a set number of hours. Work only those hours. If your handler doesn't like it then explain to them that they're in breach of contract.

Do double check there isn't a 'plus ad hoc hours' or similar get out clause.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
          What is it that you are afraid, stopping you from saying 'no'?
          +1 - my crisis isn't yours.

I would be leaving after doing my hours and contract hunting - as chances are there are plenty of better options around.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I would reduce your hours. No harm in trying to finish what needs to be done, otherwise just go home and finish off the following day. If they ask make some excuses up, eg booked a restaurant, have to go. Make it clear to them that if they want it finished that day 4 pm is too late they should have given you the task at lunch time.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Extra hours should be the exception. This has become the norm. Push back.

Comment

No-one is saying don't be flexible, as there's always times when a bit of a push is needed to get something done. However, that should be the exception rather than the rule.

I wouldn't make up excuses to leave on time with work unfinished; I would manage the expectation that the work may not be complete by 5pm but will be finished the next day. I'd also mention that it would help with workload planning if new tasks could be assigned earlier in the day wherever possible.

Comment

Originally posted by throwaway3289 View Post
                  Contract has my hours set at 37.5 (on a daily rate), but I’m doing around 45 or more, without comp for the additional hours.
                  Tell em that you are counting the extra hours they are asking you to do.

Either they allow you declare the overtime on your timesheet (1 day extra per week), or you expect four paid days off at the end of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Tell em that you are counting the extra hours they are asking you to do.

Either they allow you declare the overtime on your timesheet (1 day extra per week), or you expect four paid days off at the end of the month.
                    The OP is on a day rate, how do you bill for a day you don't work when the manager signs your time sheet?

Once again, you've posted the worst possible advice..
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X