• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV length nowadays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mines 3 pages but in descending order of importance:

Page 1: Profile, Skillset, Certs and Last Role
    Page 2: Recent history beyond the last role, with decent detail covering last 2-3 years or so
    Page 3: The rest of my history to flesh things out, with some one liners summarising my older roles

So after Page 1 somebody has got a good idea of what I'm about. Page 2 supports that, and Page 3 just gives a little more depth for anybody who cares to read it. Without Page 3 my history would end way too soon and I don't think people would like that. I'm confident it only gets the most cursory of glances, but it just shows I've been in industry for a while, haven't had any major gaps, have had solid progression etc
    Last edited by vwdan; 20 September 2021, 16:31.

Comment

Originally posted by velcro View Post
      CV?
      Sounds like people want an employee if they're asking for CV's... When asked, I give them a company prospectus which includes my bio. In addition, as a separate file, I'll send a few relevant examples of past projects (selected according to the client requirement). I'm in the middle of re-writing it all at this minute.
      It gets some push back, but the agents who really understand contracting know...
      I love it when people come on and give it the big bollocks like this, because every time I've worked for a Professional Services firm they've asked for a CV (Usually with a lot more anonymised) so that they can send it to clients and show me off. Whehter that's literally to sell me, or as a pack of example CV's to demonstrate capability or what a particular price point gets you (One firm classified everybody by a seniority ranking and charged different rates)

Fact is, when people are paying for professional services they want to know who is behind that - it's not a permie vs contractor thing, it's not a person vs company thing - it's about what you're selling. And I'm selling me, just like a company would be if I were working for them.

Comment

It's not about length. It's about girth.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I'd love to be able to cut my C.V. down to 3 pages but it will never happen, clients always want detail around what you tested and how as a Test Engineer. Putting down I tested this system and automated tests for Web, API and mobile just doesn't seem to cut it
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            I'd love to be able to cut my C.V. down to 3 pages but it will never happen, clients always want detail around what you tested and how as a Test Engineer. Putting down I tested this system and automated tests for Web, API and mobile just doesn't seem to cut it
            you're missing the point though. You might think clients want to see it. Clients may occasionally want to see it.
            But an agent is never going to read it as it's in the bin, or the shortlist, by the time he's half way down page 2.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Mine has been 4 pages for ages and never had any problems.
              Most recruiting agencies don't look at the length they only search for keywords, the longer your cv the higher the chance the keyword is in there. They also look at sectors, even though my speciality is sector independent it's good that I have finance, retail, telecoms, energy, gambling, travel etc examples in there because the pimps do not understand I can work in any sector.
              Never heard any end client complain it was too long

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                Mine has been 4 pages for ages and never had any problems.
                Most recruiting agencies don't look at the length they only search for keywords, the longer your cv the higher the chance the keyword is in there. They also look at sectors, even though my speciality is sector independent it's good that I have finance, retail, telecoms, energy, gambling, travel etc examples in there because the pimps do not understand I can work in any sector.
                Never heard any end client complain it was too long
                Definitely agree with you on the sector thing - I've kept slightly naff contracts on my CV just because they check off a good sector and you can say "Oh yes, oil & gas, I've worked there - sure!"

Comment

Two pages, plus 1 page of skillset / experience. That covers the keyword angle. Not that I've used a CV except to comply with client practices in the past 15 years!
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Mines 3 pages but in descending order of importance:

Page 1: Profile, Skillset, Certs and Last Role
                    Page 2: Recent history beyond the last role, with decent detail covering last 2-3 years or so
                    Page 3: The rest of my history to flesh things out, with some one liners summarising my older roles

So after Page 1 somebody has got a good idea of what I'm about. Page 2 supports that, and Page 3 just gives a little more depth for anybody who cares to read it. Without Page 3 my history would end way too soon and I don't think people would like that. I'm confident it only gets the most cursory of glances, but it just shows I've been in industry for a while, haven't had any major gaps, have had solid progression etc
                    This is my approach, and I've never not got an interview I have gone for
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

My principle: as many as you like, but don’t expect anybody to read past page 1 so make sure the good stuff is on there

Comment

Working...
                      X