• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside Rates - Deciphering if ER NIC is deducted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside Rates - Deciphering if ER NIC is deducted

Hi all,

With Inside IR35 contracts, I'm finding deciphering the day rate in job ads and talking to agents is like bashing my head against a wall.
    All I want to know is, does this rate have Employer NICs deducted already, or do I need to pay that?

Agents are clueless here. Most don't understand the difference between EE NIC and ER NIC and have to get help. The help usually doesn't know either.

Any tips and tricks to getting this simple, but important question answered?

I thought that off-payroll was meant to make this simple (fee payer deducts), but with Brolly rates thrown in the waters are still murky.

Thanks,
    CS

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Hi all,

With Inside IR35 contracts, I'm finding deciphering the day rate in job ads and talking to agents is like bashing my head against a wall.
    All I want to know is, does this rate have Employer NICs deducted already, or do I need to pay that?

Agents are clueless here. Most don't understand the difference between EE NIC and ER NIC and have to get help. The help usually doesn't know either.

Any tips and tricks to getting this simple, but important question answered?

I thought that off-payroll was meant to make this simple (fee payer deducts), but with Brolly rates thrown in the waters are still murky.

Thanks,
    CS
    Quickest question to ask - is this rate via agency payroll (will be PAYE) or via umbrella (will be the assignment rate which includes employer NI and other costs).

As I've pointed out before and will start beating a drum for once I've finally got what I'm working on out the door - Key information documents should be required when the job is advertised and NOT just prior to work starting.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek

As I've pointed out before and will start beating a drum for once I've finally got what I'm working on out the door - Key information documents should be required when the job is advertised and NOT just prior to work starting.
      Totally agree - the clue is in the name!!

Perhaps we need also to publicise to clients and the world in general that we operate in the only market where the sellers are totally ignorant of their product...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Totally agree - the clue is in the name!!

Perhaps we need also to publicise to clients and the world in general that we operate in the only market where the sellers are totally ignorant of their product...
        Computer systems? Or umbrella companies? Or outsourcers?
        In fact most salesmen I've met are totally ignorant of their product regardless of industry
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Computer systems? Or umbrella companies? Or outsourcers?
          In fact most salesmen I've met are totally ignorant of their product regardless of industry
          None of the above. Agencies' ideal hire is an estate agent, since they employ the same tactics to close a sale: represent themselves as experts, establish their fees, then find a buyer. Knowledge of buildings is not needed. Financials get handed off to an expert.

But expecting an recruitment agent to understand a multiple-skilled CV and apply it to a given role, or understand the key features of the financial arrangements they are putting in place is a step too far for 90% of them. Hence, they don't understand their product when, unlike an estate agent, it is a key element of what they are selling.

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
          X