• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pimp assuming you will renew...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pimp assuming you will renew...

Pimp got in touch with current gig and said the team have been extended to end of Dec 31 (so extra 2 months).

Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth as gig is decent, outside IR35 and fully remote but I always think they hold the cards in situations like as everything stays the same, especially the rate. Time to renegotiate?

Had direct gigs for last three years, been nice not having to deal with the pimps.

qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Depends. If you did your homework at the beginning you'd know if the agent is on a fixed rate with the client or not. If they are then absolutely no chance of an uplift from the agent. You'd have to push the client which has next to no chance. If the agent isn't on a fixed rate then they will be making a margin for sure but you are going to have to try and work out how much. If it's a big client and a big agent it won't me be much of a margin, if it is smaller agent, smaller client it's likely the commission will be a bit higher.

Depends on how good and renegotiation and whether you are willing to leave to leave the gig if you don't get what you want. If you are going to 'ask' them or make a weak attempt at negotiation I wouldn't bother. If you are gonna tell them you'd like £xx a day more or you are done and push it hard then go for it.

If agents had a pound for every contractor that's tried to demand a better rate and has failed they'd all have Bentleys.

Try and gauge the situation, find the rates being paid and then have a think.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A nice summary of all that is wrong with the current recruitment model. The agency has the business with the client and is selling them the agency's resources. the client has bought the idea that the agency is the supplier in the relationship. You are merely a cash cow to one and a convenient extra skill to the other and you status as a skilled, experienced and valuable worker is nowhere in the equation.

That's why we're going nowhere trying to challenge the whole f***ed up view of our role in the UK economy. 95% of the contractor market is run by people who have little idea what they are doing.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Interesting comments, thank you. I do have a former client and asking about my availability for next month and I have worked with them before (and it is slightly more day rate than I am on now) and outside gig, full WFH.

I have heard on the QT a few weeks after I started that the pimp is taking a fair wedge of what the client is paying.

qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          Interesting comments, thank you. I do have a former client and asking about my availability for next month and I have worked with them before (and it is slightly more day rate than I am on now) and outside gig, full WFH.

I have heard on the QT a few weeks after I started that the pimp is taking a fair wedge of what the client is paying.

qh

Sounds like you're on the move then...

AS NLUK says, demand a sensible rise for staying on or you walk. Should make for an interesting day!
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
          X