• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

99% fully remote roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99% fully remote roles

Okay, I didn't put 100%, because in my mind there might be once a quarter in person meetings or some such thing, but what do you think the demand is like for technical roles that are fully remote?

I ask because my current client is now calling everyone back to the office, and I am thinking of relocating a long way from most UK offices that hire IT contractors.

Has anyone here been looking at full remote contracts? Also working in remote places a long way from London and other big hubs?

Anyone moved to a fully remote mindset, only taking remote contracts from now on, maybe you relocated to a Scottish island and no longer want to live out of a suitcase in a flatshare in London 5 days a week?

Thoughts, observations, ideas, shouting welcomed.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

100% remote roles I can outsource to India / Bulgaria / Romania for peanuts.

I expect 1-2 days in an office per week / per fortnight is the minimum for a UK contract paying UK rates because otherwise it's cheaper to go abroad.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      100% remote roles I can outsource to India / Bulgaria / Romania for peanuts.

I expect 1-2 days in an office per week / per fortnight is the minimum for a UK contract paying UK rates because otherwise it's cheaper to go abroad.
      I don't buy that argument at all.

We already have outsourced services where I work, and the level of service, comprehension, communication and business understanding is very low.

And what difference does 1 day in the office make, does that stop outsourcing because you drag your arse in 1 day a week and then sit at a computer? An previously you was working 100% remote because of Covid and that worked?

Think about it, is a company going to say "We cannot outsource Dave's role because he comes in 1 day week and sits at a laptop here" ?

Comment

100% remote was like hens teeth in the old days. They were around but very very few of them. I do believe there will be a few more in the new world but certainly nowhere near the norm. IMO we are working towards a very flexible working style going forward but I don't think that will include a raft of 100% remote gigs. Clients still want to see their contractors for various reasons, some right, some wrong.

I'd expect most people to find the odd one or two over the next few years but I certainly don't think it's going to be enough to sustain end to end work.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          100% remote was like hens teeth in the old days. They were around but very very few of them. I do believe there will be a few more in the new world but certainly nowhere near the norm. IMO we are working towards a very flexible working style going forward but I don't think that will include a raft of 100% remote gigs. Clients still want to see their contractors for various reasons, some right, some wrong.

I'd expect most people to find the odd one or two over the next few years but I certainly don't think it's going to be enough to sustain end to end work.
          When doing similar stuff abroad - we got to the point where agile ceremonies (release demo, retrospective and sprint planning) were done in 2 days in person.

Rest of the time you worked from whereever you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

When doing similar stuff abroad - we got to the point where agile ceremonies (release demo, retrospective and sprint planning) were done in 2 days in person.

Rest of the time you worked from whereever you wanted.
            Out of interest, the OP didn't specifically mention abroad. Do you think there would have been a greater requirement for attending if it had been in the same country? Or is 2 days all that was actually needed?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Out of interest, the OP didn't specifically mention abroad. Do you think there would have been a greater requirement for attending if it had been in the same country? Or is 2 days all that was actually needed?
              The reason I said abroad was because that's where we did it this way because more time in Stockholm wasn't worth the hotel and food costs (oh boy) but the same applies to all remote workforces... Do the ceremonies in person because they just work better.

Day 1 - Demo of work done
              Retrospective on sprint

Day 2 - planning for next sprint
              start work and discuss issues

The point is these are the type of things that are best done in person as you can see peoples reactions in ways that a online meeting doesn't confer.

The thing is we can rattle through a project lifecycle and work out which bits are best done in person / physical presence and which bits are better done at home and it depends on the role. Product Owner / BA needs more time with the users than a developer but the lead dev will need to discuss issues with the users which may be more time in the office. PM may need to be in the office at the drop of a hat to solve issues that can only be done with a physical presence.

Comment

For our remote working (which has been 99% for last 18 months), we use tools such as Mural whiteboard, screen sharing of course on Teams. It actually works better because where I work the project team are in several countries, it's global company. It's pretty difficult to get everbody in a face to face meeting when a third of the team are in Singapore for example.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                  For our remote working (which has been 99% for last 18 months), we use tools such as Mural whiteboard, screen sharing of course on Teams. It actually works better because where I work the project team are in several countries, it's global company. It's pretty difficult to get everbody in a face to face meeting when a third of the team are in Singapore for example.
                  but that's a global project - which is great if you are in one but it isn't typical of most UK contracts.

Comment

99% percent of communication is digital now. Email, instance messaging like Teams/Slack. Now video meetings are the norm.

In IT, where the customers are not in the office, the hardware and applications are in the Cloud, what REALLY can on'y be done face to face?

I'd argue not much. If your workplace only works where people are in the same building, then it's either something unusual (like you work on hardware) or the company has an odd controlling culture.

Comment

Working...
                    X