• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Double Employment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Employment

Reposted here.

Originally posted by grimus View Post
    Hi, I'm currently employed with 2 months notice. However, I'm not that busy so I was wondering I could start a new contract while I'm spending my notice period. If it is outside that is straightforward. However, if it is an inside contract so I had to use an umbrella that would mean I would be employed by two different companies for a short period. I think it is still possible. Is there any catch? Would be the first employer notified about my other employment somehow?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

You are incorrect in thinking that outside IR35 there won't be an issue. You'll have exactly the same issue as with a brolly. The only difference is that you'd be working for your own company instead of someone elses.

Plenty of people have more than one employment on the go at a time.There's nothing intrinsically wrong about it. However, your current employment contract probably says that you're not allowed to work for someone else while you're employed. The first employer would not be notified about your second employment. But if they found out, and you've got a standard employment contract with them, you'd find yourself probably summarily dismissed.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You're not busy at work so instead of raising this with your management, you're thinking of trying to hold down two jobs that require your full time attendance at the same time (there are very few contracts that can be done part-time, evenings and weekends).

It sounds like you're thinking about leaving but haven't yet. What is your primary reason for leaving the job? Other than 'not very busy'. Or are you just testing the water with a safety net of a regular salary behind you.

Do you have sufficient funds behind you that you can afford to not work (and not get paid) for several months of the year without dipping into the money you've put aside to pay your taxes (if you don't go with an umbrella).

If you take an inside job with an umbrella, you will most likely be on emergency tax so it will cost you a lot of money. Unless, of course, you work via a brolly that is willing pay you minimum wage and put everything else into a pension. If your sole reason for taking a second job is for the money then you can see you won't necessarily be better off.

Comment

Would be the first employer notified about my other employment somehow?
        If you are worried about that then you shouldn't be doing it. You will be working for someone else on your employers time which I am sure won't end well for you. The fact you are doing that to two employers you've got double the problem. You will be contracted and paid for working 8 hours a day at each employment, if you aren't doing that you are in breach of your contract.

No way will you get away with it, particularly now companys are returning to the office. Even if you are fully remote on both you are going to get constant meeting clashes which is going to be near impossible to manage and be extremely stressful.

Try negotiating a quicker exit from your first employer. No company wants someone kicking around that might steal data or disrupt operations when not delivering something so speak to them and work something out.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 26 August 2021, 08:40.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had some overlap between roles, for about two weeks last year perm and contract no one ever noticed no one ever asked. Double income was great.

Comment

If you have a linked in profile it is impossible to make it unsuspicious to both companies. Either one is going to see a company in your profile for which you shouldn't be working for. This is how you might get caught.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Did three contracts on the go earlier this year. 2 Outside, 1 Inside. Is certainly possible but you need to have your wits about you.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                If you have a linked in profile it is impossible to make it unsuspicious to both companies. Either one is going to see a company in your profile for which you shouldn't be working for. This is how you might get caught.
                This is why I don't update my profile until after the gig has finished.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
                  Did three contracts on the go earlier this year. 2 Outside, 1 Inside. Is certainly possible but you need to have your wits about you.
                  Same here, and have done it in the past. It was bloody hard work and could only do it because of 100% remote working based on deliverables, but it is doable.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

This is why I don't update my profile until after the gig has finished.
                    This is a top tip.

I may put the role there with no further info so it shows I'm not on the bench (although I do have a standing open role that is me at my LtdCo)

Comment

Working...
                    X