• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Delayed returning to UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delayed returning to UK

Hi Folks need some help and advice here. I'm currently on vacation outside the EU but need to return and login via my UK company laptop. My client knows I'm abroad but in the interim is there any solutions that can get internal software routed into UK WITHOUT installing VPN?
    I can't install a VPN software onto the client laptop so need to figure out a solution.. Wonder if anyone has a similar prob in the past and what a short term solution is ,
    Thankyou!
    Scoob

You are in a foreign country, You posted here, on a UK server. What is that you want?

One time, I was in the UK and my Swiss client needed me to fix something. I said it'll cost you a day's fees. They agreed. From my mums laptop, the customer gave me access to their computer, and I fixed it. Logmein, teamviewer. skype, teams...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Does your client know you are abroad with their laptop? Are they aware you are going to try log in from outside the EU and that you are going to use some proxy method? Quite a few clients wouldn't be happy with any of those situations if not already pre-agreed before you went. There could be a very good reason your laptop won't connect when you are out of the country.

You want to make sure you aren't breaking any of their security policies by trying to grab some billing days back. Might not end too well.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

there is still risk that they might find you despite the VPN.

but if still interested you can put the vpn details in the router directly. or install pfsense on different machine and do the config on that.

if the vpn does not work you can make your own VPN with a AWS EC2 instance, few googles should sort you out.

some companies might have data policies, depending on what you manage for them. Other managers want to be in control and don't want to allow free benefits to the employees because they might get used to it...

Comment

So what you're saying is that you want to spoof being in the UK without installing anything.

I would have left the laptop at home, switched on, and AnyDesk running (doesn't require installation). Then remote into my office desktop and use AnyDesk to access the client laptop.

This should be in technical. It's not a business/contract query until you come back asking if it's breach of contract to take client equipment out of the country without their permission.

Comment

yes I've specially said the Client is perfectly okay with it and are fully in the know (I've bolded it so hopefully folks who jump with a plod wagging finger can re-read . The trouble is some internal apps need a uk route , so workaround would be a VPN. Just asking on here as with the current covid climate has anyone been in the same scenarios because of restricted travel etc..

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

some companies might have data policies, depending on what you manage for them. Other managers want to be in control and don't want to allow free benefits to the employees because they might get used to it...
              He's not an employee but thanks for that.

Comment

I see the OP has put his client knows he's abroad in bold but there is being abroad and there is being abroad with the clients kit and consent. Just bolding it doesn't help.

Comment

Let's just assume that the client is entirely happy with their laptop being used abroad. It really wouldn't be terribly unusual.

My issue with this posting is
                  is there any solutions that can get internal software routed into UK WITHOUT installing VPN?
                  What does that even mean? "internal software routed into the UK"? And what's the issue with using a VPN?

Grief, just install a VPN on your phone and tether to that.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Let's just assume that the client is entirely happy with their laptop being used abroad. It really wouldn't be terribly unusual.

My issue with this posting is

What does that even mean? "internal software routed into the UK"? And what's the issue with using a VPN?

Grief, just install a VPN on your phone and tether to that.

+1 - the only way to do it is an external VPN that has all traffic routed through it - and your phone is the easiest approach.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X