• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter demanded that our interview be recorded

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiter demanded that our interview be recorded

I thought I'd seen it all - I was wrong. I refused given that among other things, I wasn't informed of how this video would be used or by whom in writing. He said "for training purposes", but it all sounded pretty weird to me. The recruiter then said the only way the interview can proceed is if I consent. I didn't. End of interview.

That is a bit odd. I would be inclined to reject a recording if they couldn't tell me what it would be used for.

Comment

"For training purposes" means "So if there's a dispute later, we've got evidence of what was said".
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        "For training purposes" means "So if there's a dispute later, we've got evidence of what was said".
        Yeah, I thought that as well, but why would they need evidence? Unless they're worried the candidate is going to lie or something. My guess is that they wanted to ask me technical questions and then use the recording to coach some yutz at half the day rate. If he actually had a client that saw and liked my CV like he claimed that he'd be inclined to turn off the recorder so he can get his commission.

Comment

Well disputes can work both ways - they say the job is doing a,b,c and then you turn up and it's x,y,z. Worth ensuring you're sent a copy of the recording for that alone

Comment

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post

Yeah, I thought that as well, but why would they need evidence? Unless they're worried the candidate is going to lie or something. My guess is that they wanted to ask me technical questions and then use the recording to coach some yutz at half the day rate. If he actually had a client that saw and liked my CV like he claimed that he'd be inclined to turn off the recorder so he can get his commission.
            Who was interviewing you - the agency or an end client?

If it was the agency why were you bothering.

But there are a number of companies now where the first stage interview will be a video facilitated by an agency worker asking the agreed questions and a number of companies that sell such systems (Andy Hallett works / worked with one). I can't see the point of it personally but I'm very much let's find out what your problems are and see if I can fix them.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Who was interviewing you - the agency or an end client?

If it was the agency why were you bothering.

But there are a number of companies now where the first stage interview will be a video facilitated by an agency worker asking the agreed questions and a number of companies that sell such systems (Andy Hallett works / worked with one). I can't see the point of it personally but I'm very much let's find out what your problems are and see if I can fix them.
              It was an agency. But in the case you mention, I'd have to assume that the act of recording the interview is all above-board and agreed upon by both sides long before the day of the interview. This guy sprung this on me when the interview started.

Comment

It was an agency. But in the case you mention, I'd have to assume that the act of recording the interview is all above-board and agreed upon by both sides long before the day of the interview. This guy sprung this on me when the interview started.
                So this could be a generic interview that the agency can then use to send to potential clients to save them time?

If so then it's not a million miles away from the idea that Andy Hallett had of creating a service where you do a video profile of yourself that clients can watch rather than do CV and interview.

Springing it on you in the actual interview is really stupid though. Poor form on their part. Absolutely no need to do that and wastes everyones time.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why would an agency wish to waste time doing an interview so I suspect it wasn't sprung on you intentionally, the agent forgot to mention the need for it to be recorded first.

So I will go back to my previous question, why did you think it was worth time attending an interview with the agent - the only time I've done that has been for Id checks.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Why would an agency wish to waste time doing an interview so I suspect it wasn't sprung on you intentionally, the agent forgot to mention the need for it to be recorded first.

So I will go back to my previous question, why did you think it was worth time attending an interview with the agent - the only time I've done that has been for Id checks.
                    Sometimes the agents demand to meet before they'll put you in front of the client? Hasn't happened to me in a long, long time as I tend to get all my work by referrals but I've definitely had to have a few chats with agents in the past.

Comment

Working...
                    X