• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency kicking up a fuss over notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not everyone is lucky enough to keep working Outside IR35. In the area I work, there are no Outside IR35 gigs left, its as if every client has introduced a blanket ban. And now that agencies have sort of, worked out how IR35 works they dont seem to want to deal with Outside IR35 gigs anymore, in practice.

Lets not beat about the bush, all of this is a function of Covid and IR35 changes. Terrible rates, erosion of worker rights, more power to clients and agencies, even worse practices from agencies, more interaction and admin with tulipty brollies. I've had several recruiters tell me just recently that a lot of contractors (in my space) have moved into permanent contracts, and that clients are finding it hard to find good contractors. Which is better for me I guess. I put my CV online on the Monday and had a job by Thursday. However experiences like this, make contracting far less appealing.

I'm sure theres alot of people out there still stuck in what I call "Covid jobs" i.e. jobs they only took because of covid, and as the economy is improving now everyone will be jumping ship, left, right n centre. There will be more and more people breaching contracts to jump back into high quality jobs.

If you took a £40k job due to Covid and you land a pre-covid £80k job again and the client asks you to start in 2 weeks (and you have 4 weeks notice), im sure as hell sure that 99% of people will breach and take the slack. Especially if you have kids and a mortgage. These are once in a lifetime extenuating circumstances.
    Last edited by sira; 23 June 2021, 13:22.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
      Not everyone is lucky enough to keep working Outside IR35. In the area I work, there are no Outside IR35 gigs left, its as if every client has introduced a blanket ban. And now that agencies have sort of, worked out how IR35 works they dont seem to want to deal with Outside IR35 gigs anymore, in practice.
      Sadly a lot of places don't understand IR35 and have been briefed badly by agencies and consultancies, both with a vested interest; the latter has an interest in convincing the client that outside contracts are bad because they can get their own people in.

Lets not beat about the bush, all of this is a function of Covid and IR35 changes. Terrible rates, erosion of worker rights, more power to clients and agencies, even worse practices from agencies, more interaction and admin with tulipty brollies. I've had several recruiters tell me just recently that a lot of contractors (in my space) have moved into permanent contracts, and that clients are finding it hard to find good contractors. Which is better for me I guess. I put my CV online on the Monday and had a job by Thursday. However experiences like this, make contracting far less appealing.
      Worker rights? You're a contractor. You've never had any power. The fact you're still calling a contract a job is concerning (bloody hell, sounding too much like NLUK here!).
      The client has the money, the agent gets a cut and you get your wedge. Until you're at a client proving how awesome and indispensable you are, you have no power.

I'm sure theres alot of people out there still stuck in what I call "Covid jobs" i.e. jobs they only took because of covid, and as the economy is improving now everyone will be jumping ship, left, right n centre. There will be more and more people breaching contracts to jump back into high quality jobs.

If you took a £40k job due to Covid and you land a pre-covid £80k job again and the client asks you to start in 2 weeks (and you have 4 weeks notice), im sure as hell sure that 99% of people will breach and take the slack. Especially if you have kids and a mortgage. These are once in a lifetime extenuating circumstances.
      This is nonsense. The vast majority of people work their notice. On the perm side, notice periods are far more understood - typically 3 months on both sides for a 50k+ job. Employers accept this. Employees accept this. There are times when a compromise agreement kicks in but this is more often in the case of redundancy. Similarly if you're on notice because of redundancy, the employer will let you go early if you find something.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thanks for your very helpful post. I only have two options: work only the 2 weeks and then not show up for work OR work 2 weeks and pull a sickie for the remaining 2 weeks. The issue with the latter is the umbrella company.

How can I give my umbrella company a 2 week sick notice and have them start me on a new assignment at the exact same time? The only way around it that I can see, is to change to a different umbrella company?
        Pull a sickie. Umbrella company wont give a monkeys....
        OR start with a different Umbrella....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Seen as they're being very aggressive and denying me holiday, probably will have to get a sick note. Wouldnt pull the Covid card, as they could technically ask for confirmation that you have had a positive covid test and a doctors note. Getting a typical one for stress/burnout is much cleaner. Perks of Inside IR35.

Clients been dumping more work on me last few weeks as my line manager left (workloads more than doubled), and I've even told the new manager twice that the volumes are too high and im burnt out. His reply both times was "Thanks. Please get X done"
          Doctors note and proof of covid test - bugger that. You're a contractor.....
          If a client asked me for either of these the answer would be "do one".

And why are expecting sympathy from a client. They dont care about you at all. You're just a resource.....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

If you ever want to leave somewhere early, get client on side (preferably with a reasonable handover period of a week or so) and get client to tell agency. Don't "ask agency", it's not in their interest to participate. Their customer is the client.

Most clients are more agreeable than you'd think to working in this way, the alternative is paying a lot of money for someone who doesn't want to be there.

The only time I've gone to the agency to quit first was when my notice period was mercifully short (2 weeks) and at a client I hated so much I didn't even want the conversation with them. So just gritted teeth for 2 weeks and got out entirely above board.
            Last edited by PerfectStorm; 30 June 2021, 11:17.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Pull a sickie. Umbrella company wont give a monkeys....
              OR start with a different Umbrella....
              You remember you were the first person on here to advocate taking a sickie to get out of notice don't you?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Clients been pretty relaxed about it, haven't received any pushback. They said they've a couple resources coming in, and asked me to handover my tasks to someone else. Haven't heard anything further from the agency either (yet). At worst, I guess they'll maybe withhold 1-2 weeks ages as compensation in which case I'm not bothered. I worked last week and this week in full, so they can take compensation if they wish to do so. I dont think they'll go much further than that due to my very low salary, but if they do I guess I'll just have to deal with it and pay any further compensation which arises. Given that they have resources to pick up my work, not much financial damage/losses have occurred to the client and the agency's margin is tiny (10%) and is literally peanuts on the dollar.

In parallel, I switched umbrella companies which took just 5 minutes. New brolly said its fine, if old P45 finish date and start of new gig date overlap. I'll be on monthly billing this time so wont be any tax or tax code issues hopefully. I never enjoy incorrect tax codes.
                Last edited by sira; 30 June 2021, 15:30.

Comment

Working...
                X