• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do people still consider working at start-ups?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a recent interaction with an agent. Was open for both perm and contract but after hearing more about the client decided on contract only.

Went through first stage of interview, everything went well only to find out that I am being considered for a permanent role now (explicitly stated contract only and we agreed rate to be put forward to)
    Now 1 stage of 45min turned into 3 stages with 45min so politely(more or less) declined. Agent was not upfront at any point about the other side but had hints during the interview... (wasn't surprised by this part either, not many start-ups looking to pay £700pd for an inside role - be it as it may building financial software for a hedgefund, but if agent was confident, I played along)

Do people still consider start-ups or smaller businesses?

was aware that the long hours and culture doesn't actually make sense but couldn't find an article on it.
    Now I do:

https://every.to/napkin-math/you-pro...0-3cb92f0eecf1

On a different note:
    - Through other conversations I've learned also that hiring managers in smaller companies tend to avoid ex-contractors/consultants.
    Hard to motivate someone to go above and beyond when they are more aware of their worth and the business side of things.
    "cultural fit" is a big thing for them.

- I also believe in communication and talking the truth and that people should stand together and be more open with the information so that, all of us would be better treated in the future. I do not intend to badmouth anyone, just have a fair open conversation and a reliable source of information people coming from google can trust. There is so much disinformation out there it's no surprise things are how they are.
    -​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-​​​​​​​-
    ​​​​​​​
    Yes
    45.45%
    No
    36.36%
    Only for a very fair package, so usually no
    18.18%
    Only if AndyW's mum is cheering up the troops
    0%

"Do people still consider working at start-ups?"

Yes, why wouldn't you consider it? The answer might always be no, for good reasons, but you should still consider it.

Otherwise, i think you're overthinking things - consider each opportunity as it comes, and make a decision based on its merits.

It's not alway bad. I co-founded a startup, and we hired some people on what was pretty average wages, as that was all the business could afford. After our later acquisition, they all did pretty well.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 28 May 2021, 14:15.

Comment

Not me. They don't really need what I do anyway so pretty unlikely I'll get a chance to work for one but I wouldn't anyway. Far to much bad feedback than good for my liking and I can chose to stay away from them so I will..

- Through other conversations I've learned also that hiring managers in smaller companies tend to avoid ex-contractors/consultants.
      Hard to motivate someone to go above and beyond when they are more aware of their worth and the business side of things.
      "cultural fit" is a big thing for them.
      This has always been the case and is the same in larger companies. It's unlikely an ex contractor will be around long on perm rates so they are either there as they have nothing else or they will just suck any training and leave again. In a large majority of cases they would be absolutely spot on. So yes, in a choice between an ex perm and an ex contractor the contractor will rarely come first.

Not sure you needed all your usual waffle to get ask that question though. Maybe you could be a bit more direct without the rest of the rubbish and it will look less like you are just trolling as usual.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've done it twice. Made a ton of money the second time.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          . Maybe you could be a bit more direct without the rest of the rubbish and it will look less like you are just trolling as usual.
          That’s my personality I’m afraid. Can’t get rid of it.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I've done it twice. Made a ton of money the second time.
          figures or it didn’t happen.
          also it would be helpfull to get a bit more information on the nature of work, context. I am struggling to find some hope in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

That’s my personality I’m afraid. Can’t get rid of it.

also it would be helpfull to get a bit more information on the nature of work, context. I am struggling to find some hope in this world.
            Given that NAT is a mod a lot of us have met in real life and you are a mere poster - I would trust NAT at his word.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Given that NAT is a mod a lot of us have met in real life and you are a mere poster - I would trust NAT at his word.
              This!

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                I'd trust NAT if he says something however outlandish as well... but I wouldn't be looking to start ups for hope. They are at best extremely risky. In 2019 90% of start ups failed. If you are struggling and relying on hope you are best keeping away from start ups.

Comment

Still curious about the figure, 1mil might be a lot for some, others might rethink considering the risk…

Comment

And he brought chocolate to the Xmas do

Comment

Working...
                    X