• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period Issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period Issue

Hello all,

I have been working through an umbrella company for the last 3 months on a contract. I decided to hand in notice recently and offered to work either 1 week if they were flexible or 2 weeks which is the actual notice period. I was happy to work the full 2 weeks but preferably one week. The next day the client terminates my contract with immediate effect. Do I have any rights seeing as I am an employee now and not an outside IR35 contractor? Should I have the right to work my notice and should they at least pay me for their notice period (Payment in lieu) I was willing to work the notice.

Thanks in advance

No - the entire point of contingent labour is that they can get rid of you with zero notice if no work is available.

No work is available therefore you won't be paid.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Samm View Post
      Hello all,

I have been working through an umbrella company for the last 3 months on a contract. I decided to hand in notice recently and offered to work either 1 week if they were flexible or 2 weeks which is the actual notice period. I was happy to work the full 2 weeks but preferably one week. The next day the client terminates my contract with immediate effect. Do I have any rights seeing as I am an employee now and not an outside IR35 contractor? Should I have the right to work my notice and should they at least pay me for their notice period (Payment in lieu) I was willing to work the notice.

Thanks in advance
      You are treated as an employee for TAX PURPOSES ONLY.

I know a load of c###. But that is what it is.

This and many other forums have discussed this issue many times before.

So much for getting rid of zero hours contracts etc.

Sorry you got terminated. Hope all works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Samm View Post
        Hello all,

Thanks in advance
        It seems like you should get statutory notice of one week (or longer if it’s in the contract). That no work available zero notice thing should only be in outside IR35 contracts.

Whether they can get round this or not would have to be tested by the courts, which would cost them more than paying one week’s notice so you should be fine.

I have had a similar problem a couple of times (albeit with a clear contract) and they paid up after I stood my ground.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

It seems like you should get statutory notice of one week (or longer if it’s in the contract). That no work available zero notice thing should only be in outside IR35 contracts.

Whether they can get round this or not would have to be tested by the courts, which would cost them more than paying one week’s notice so you should be fine.

I have had a similar problem a couple of times (albeit with a clear contract) and they paid up after I stood my ground.
          Nope - the OP may get very, very lucky but he resigned and the end client has decided that no more work is required.

There could be an argument if it was the end client getting rid of you but no chance in hell given that the OP is the person who has given the end client and agency a problem.

Comment

Legally any contract inside IR35 should now be covered by the employment agency conduct regulations. Under the regulations I suspect that there is a legal argument for notice periods to be adhered to, whatever the notice period in the contract is.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Legally any contract inside IR35 should now be covered by the employment agency conduct regulations. Under the regulations I suspect that there is a legal argument for notice periods to be adhered to, whatever the notice period in the contract is.
              Sadly not - it's perfectly possible for an umbrella contract to be outside the employment agency conduct regulations.

Some of the FCSA's umbrellas actively work to ensure their umbrella workers opt out.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Sadly not - it's perfectly possible for an umbrella contract to be outside the employment agency conduct regulations.

Some of the FCSA's umbrellas actively work to ensure their umbrella workers opt out.
                My understanding of opting out is that you have to be working through your own Ltd company. Of course you can be inside IR35 and working through a Ltd.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

My understanding of opting out is that you have to be working through your own Ltd company. Of course you can be inside IR35 and working through a Ltd.
                  That's wrong - there are other reasons why you may wish to opt out (although personally you would be completely insane to do so).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

That's wrong - there are other reasons why you may wish to opt out (although personally you would be completely insane to do so).
                    Are you sure?

https://clarityumbrella.co.uk/opt-in...-conduct-regs/

The Regulations permit individuals to opt-out of the Regulations if they are:

• Working through a limited company; and
                    • Not working with people under the age of 18 or vulnerable adults.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X