• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question Re Small Co exemption

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Re Small Co exemption

Background. Had a call from a former client about him contracting someone to do some stuff on investment monitoring/management software for him. My former client is Very UHNWI. Probably worth more than double a max Euromillions win, if not far off! He is proposing to engage and pay the contractor (a developer) as an individual paying a ltd co. Much in the same way he pays for most things. Contract at the moment will be hourly rate. He reckons that because he is an individual even though he owns a stack of companies, the small co exemption will still come into play.

My take is that because he is so loaded HMRC will see it differently and thus come after the contractor as rules apply. If you ran it through the tool (i haven't, don't believe client has) it would probably be inside.

What are people's thoughts?
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Who will be issuing the contract?

Mr HNW personally or one of his companies?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Who will be issuing the contract?

Mr HNW personally or one of his companies?
      Going to be him.
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

https://www.bdo.co.uk/en-gb/insights...nies-exemption

I suppose the section under unincorporated businesses would be applicable.

Unincorporated businesses (not including LLPs) will only need to consider the turnover test to establish whether they are small, and it will only be by reference to the last financial year ending at least 9 months before the start of the tax year.

The IR35 rules must be applied from the start of the tax year following the financial year in which the turnover limit is exceeded, provided that financial year ended at least 9 months before.

Similar rules apply to sole traders but the test is based on the calendar year ending before the start of the tax year.
        I personally would be inclined to pay cash and keep it all under the radar

Comment

You say he's a former client so you'll know best but I'm always wary of these setups. They might be ultra high worth but that doesn't always mean they just chuck money about and I find they tend to be very arrogant and rough shod in their business dealings. They'll be very entrepreneurial and rules won't matter to them. That causes issues with getting your money if they don't fancy paying and would also leave you in the lurch when it comes to any agreements around IR35, SDS's and the like.

I can't image working for someone like that can really be outside. Will he accept a sub? I very much doubt it. Will he want to direct and control you? I'm absolutely sure he will. If you took the exact scenario and put it in a big corporate environment I'm sure it could be outside. With a situation like yours I'm not so sure. Difficult situation.

Will it not depend who you are contracted to with regard small co's? Will he contract you with a proper company and that can be judged on size and turn over? Will he use a shell one just to suit you but has no business bearing on what you do?

Sorry to put all this down. This situation is way out of my risk profile so would struggle to take a gig like this personally. Others love it and it's a dream I guess but when it comes to adhering to legislation and be done properly I'd say that rarely happens for these gigs.

So who knows? Tough one and I'd want to see the detail before making any conclusion.

That said if he is one of those types then kinda like LM's comment. Why not do the work in return for a new car or something. No cash, no paper trail and you get something you needed for the same cost? He might be willing to put something like that through the books so some benefit to him? Dunno. Just guessing. If these people don't believe in following the rules then look for other possibles that may not be options with corporates?
          Last edited by northernladuk; 14 April 2021, 15:21.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yep, that's what I thought.
            I can't see this realistically being more than about £20-25k if that even for God's gift to software development. So a large envelope full of used fivers might be viable
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You say he's a former client so you'll know best but I'm always wary of these setups. They might be ultra high worth but that doesn't always mean they just chuck money about and I find they tend to be very arrogant and rough shod in their business dealings. They'll be very entrepreneurial and rules won't matter to them. That causes issues with getting your money if they don't fancy paying and would also leave you in the lurch when it comes to any agreements around IR35, SDS's and the like.

I can't image working for someone like that can really be outside. Will he accept a sub? I very much doubt it. Will he want to direct and control you? I'm absolutely sure he will. If you took the exact scenario and put it in a big corporate environment I'm sure it could be outside. With a situation like yours I'm not so sure. Difficult situation.

Will it not depend who you are contracted to with regard small co's? Will he contract you with a proper company and that can be judged on size and turn over? Will he use a shell one just to suit you but has no business bearing on what you do?

Sorry to put all this down. This situation is way out of my risk profile so would struggle to take a gig like this personally. Others love it and it's a dream I guess but when it comes to adhering to legislation and be done properly I'd say that rarely happens for these gigs.

So who knows? Tough one and I'd want to see the detail before making any conclusion.

That said if he is one of those types then kinda like LM's comment. Why not do the work in return for a new car or something. No cash, no paper trail and you get something you needed for the same cost? He might be willing to put something like that through the books so some benefit to him? Dunno. Just guessing. If these people don't believe in following the rules then look for other possibles that may not be options with corporates?
              This client has always been ok with me. Less so with those who try and rip him off or try and take the mickey.
              Accept a sub? - very unlikely certainly not an unfettered one.
              He knows what he wants and will want everything just so, having said that he has two ears and knows what ears are used for so if there is an issue it will be workable.
              As for actual co's I suspect he can't run through any of the co's he's invested in, so contract will be to him. The only thing his investments have to with the job is that info will be held about them on the system to be developed.
              I WILL NOT be doing the work as I am now very retired. This one is very much open.
              He's asked me for advice. I thought I would run it through here as a sanity check. I have already said that I reckon HMRC will take the view that the rules apply.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

This client has always been ok with me. Less so with those who try and rip him off or try and take the mickey.
                Accept a sub? - very unlikely certainly not an unfettered one.
                He knows what he wants and will want everything just so, having said that he has two ears and knows what ears are used for so if there is an issue it will be workable.
                As for actual co's I suspect he can't run through any of the co's he's invested in, so contract will be to him. The only thing his investments have to with the job is that info will be held about them on the system to be developed.
                I WILL NOT be doing the work as I am now very retired. This one is very much open.
                He's asked me for advice. I thought I would run it through here as a sanity check. I have already said that I reckon HMRC will take the view that the rules apply.
                Odd one isn't it. Upside to that is all sorts of weird and wonderful deals could be negotiated with someone like that (assuming you deliver and he's happy).

Interesting situation that one.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This to me is simple.
                  Small company exemption applies. Therefore the OP has to be diligent.
                  It should be very simple to demonstrate lack of SDC as only the OP knows how the work is to be done, so cannot be directed or controlled.

Nothing really to sweat about. HMRC are going to have far bigger fish to fry.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    This to me is simple.
                    Small company exemption applies. Therefore the OP has to be diligent.
                    It should be very simple to demonstrate lack of SDC as only the OP knows how the work is to be done, so cannot be directed or controlled.

Nothing really to sweat about. HMRC are going to have far bigger fish to fry.
                    My advice has been to forget the exemption and act a larger firm on this one.
                    He also has the potential issue that HMRC might want this one leaked to the press if they did get claws in.
                    That has implications for him and whoever does the work potentially.
                    I have nothing to worry about as I won't be doing the work! - If I ever did come out of retirement (very unlikely, there is limited capacity for consultants who can't walk!) it would not be back to IT.
                    SDC could be an issue as the client knows exactly what they want. Whilst I don't think it is a massively complex job with the exception of some point in time currency handling and logging the client will want it just so.
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X