• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone heard of Contactout .com?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone heard of Contactout .com?

Just googled my name for something and spotted an very old linkedin profile so clicked it and it takes me to a page about me on contactout .com. It's got what looks like a load of scraped data from Linkedin which must have been done in the last year but towards the beginning of last year as I changed my profile. Although with asterisks it has my email address as well. It then asks you to log in to look at my email and phone?

Thought I might have created it via a rectuiter or something but when I try log in I am not even registered?

It does say 'The data we process has been made 'manifestly public' (GDPR Article 9.2(e)) by the data subject. We only crawl and index publicly available email addresses and phone numbers, such as those that are accessible from websites and social media.' I'm sure my number can be found somewhere publicly but I didn't think it was that easy to find.

According to the 'Our Data' *cough* page they've 1.25 million emails.

Either way I'm a bit surprised by this site and what it's doing.

Anyone find they've appeared on here out of the blue?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 31 March 2021, 19:39.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Vanity searching, eh? I ought to check my name and see if I've written anything new for Mills and Boon.

I couldn't easily find myself on their site so did the Google search method. No record results for me but, oddly, a URL for someone completely random had an old LinkedIn tag line of mine in the summary Google displays. Clicking through didn't show anything about me.

EDIT: did my own vanity search - 15 pages of Google results. Not one of them is me
    Last edited by ladymuck; 31 March 2021, 19:53.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Vanity searching, eh? I ought to check my name and see if I've written anything new for Mills and Boon.
      Kinda of but more to check what is out there before I apply for a gig. Is that vanity checking?
      I couldn't easily find myself on their site so did the Google search method. No record results for me but, oddly, a URL for someone completely random had an old LinkedIn tag line of mine in the summary Google displays. Clicking through didn't show anything about me.

EDIT: did my own vanity search - 15 pages of Google results. Not one of them is me
      So you aren't on their site? You have a public linked in though?

Comment

DaveB can you have a look at that site and tell me what you think?

Comment

O ly did my own vanity search once. Turns out I have same name as a famous Californian with hundreds of published works. My first entry was about 30 pages down...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Kinda of but more to check what is out there before I apply for a gig. Is that vanity checking?

So you aren't on their site? You have a public linked in though?
            I did put a wink there!

It looks like they may have a snifter of some info on me but only what they may have picked up from a contact they have scraped.

I have just checked my settings and I do have a public profile but with a minimal amount of data on show.

And I do have profile visibility off LI switched off, so maybe that's more the reason why they haven't much on me?
            Last edited by ladymuck; 31 March 2021, 22:06.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              O ly did my own vanity search once. Turns out I have same name as a famous Californian with hundreds of published works. My first entry was about 30 pages down...
              I know

Comment

Where is DaveB ??

Comment

but when I try log in I am not even registered
                  Great now they have your user name and password

Comment

Working...
                  X