• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

12 Month Contract With Immediate Notice of Termination on Both Sides

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
    This is deemed as inside IR35 and terms state "Notice Period - 0 days" so I assume from that it means that there is no notice given on either side to terminate. The agency also told me this on the phone so hoping he's not telling porkies!
    I would get this clarified as you've already confused the situation with your own wording. It's zero days notice. Not no notice. One is saying I'm going now and they say OK. The other is just going without having to tell anyone. Notice MUST be given, it's just the timelines that are in question. Gotta be really careful. Only takes one person in a chain of three to confuse it and it's all up in the air.

I do think a bit of time making sure everyone is very clear on what this means would be worthwhile. I know I'm being overly pedantic but we get so many threads on here when someone is in a pickle because they didn't do something properly.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I would get this clarified as you've already confused the situation with your own wording. It's zero days notice. Not no notice. One is saying I'm going now and they say OK. The other is just going without having to tell anyone. Notice MUST be given, it's just the timelines that are in question. Gotta be really careful. Only takes one person in a chain of three to confuse it and it's all up in the air.

I do think a bit of time making sure everyone is very clear on what this means would be worthwhile. I know I'm being overly pedantic but we get so many threads on here when someone is in a pickle because they didn't do something properly.
      PSR are 0 days notice, it's written earlier in the sentence. You're out as soon as you can hand back the Surface Pro.

Comment

Sounds great. Every client I know has walked a contractor with zero notice at some point. Serving notice simply saves them making something up and the agent having to soften the blow to you that your services are no longer required and there's no notice to be worked because "insert platitude and excuse here". Demonstrating that you served no notice despite four weeks in the contract is good for IR35 because it shows that financial risk happened (like a less crushing form of life insurance needing to be cashed in!) but this reflects the actuality of what happens in contracting imho.

Just means that if you think it's crap, you can get out on day one without begging anyone to let you go. Also saves messing around with worrying about overlaps at the end of a contract when you're looking for your next one because work is drying up.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

When you leave a customer you always need to think about whether you might want to return. If this is a large company and you plan on a long career as a contractor that is highly likely. Companies can afford to rub up contractors the wrong way, that doesn't work the other way around. That is a fact of life if you're a small business.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
            Always treat any contract as having immediate termination from the client side. This helps you stay balanced instead of concerned.
            Exactly that is my mind set

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
              Anyone had experience of contracting through PSR (Public Sector Resourcing)? I've received an offer for a 12 month contract and the notice period is zero days on both sides. When I queried this with the consultant he said that yes, unfortunately there is no notice and immediate termination can be given from the client and myself.

Having never had a zero days notice contract, one of 12 month's, or worked through PSR before I'm concerned about this. Should I be worried?
              Every contract I have signed has clauses permitting termination by the agency without notice. But certain conditions have to be met. Those conditions will be listed in the clause. Usually it is permitted if the contractor commits serious breaches once or persistently e.g. misconduct. So the contract could be terminated immediately under such clauses. But whether the termination was valid is another matter that can be tested in Court. The Court will decide whether the termination was valid (fair). If the Court sees no evidence of the alleged misconduct and there is some evidence to indicate that no misconduct occurred then the Court may rule the termination invalid and award compensation to the 'innocent party.'

Comment

Originally posted by andrew142 View Post
                award compensation to the 'innocent party.'
                utter rubbish......
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

utter rubbish......
                  Really? How many claims have you issued in the County Court? I do not subscribe to your slave mentality.

Comment

Really? How many claims have you issued in the County Court? I do not subscribe to your slave mentality.
                    the fact you mention "innocent" and "compensation" suggest you are talking rubbish. There is no guilty/innocent in civil law. There is some potential for compensation, but usually only legal costs.

And your language.....

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Ask Lance how many Perma bans he's got. I bet it's one less than you.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X