• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Previous contractor looking to return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previous contractor looking to return

A little bit of history:
    * I was a contractor for 20 years - C++, Java and C# development
    * Last 5 years I've been permanent - hands-on test automation (Java, REST-Assured, Selenium, Appium, Sauce Labs, etc) and performance testing (NeoLoad, Gatling, etc)

I've been promoted a few times but I'm starting to get tired of line management, interviewing, setting strategy, etc and look back fondly on my contractor days.

However, I've sent my CV for about a dozen well-matched roles on JobServe with zero response.

Is the market really that bad for technical testers?
    Is it possible to have too much experience? Am I too old at 52?
    Should I switch back to development?

Any advice appreciated!

Most contracts you find will fall within IR35 so you won't be bringing in as much money as 5 years ago.

You are better of finding another permanent job with decent employer pension contributions until people won't employ you due to age discrimination. (Yes it still exists even though it is illegal.)

I've had conversations with older permies and they say they just move around until they find an employer they like. Then they stay until they piss them off or can retire. This is why you want decent employer pension contributions.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

my friend is a SDET, he's currently working on inside basis. So it's pretty tulip if even him had to conceide and go inside.
      I haven't seen much of outside tester roles for the last year, however I'm dev.

As a dev - plenty of outside roles to chose from, if you focus on those and tell foxtrot oscar to agents with inside roles

Comment

Originally posted by trashy View Post
        A little bit of history:
        * I was a contractor for 20 years - C++, Java and C# development
        * Last 5 years I've been permanent - hands-on test automation (Java, REST-Assured, Selenium, Appium, Sauce Labs, etc) and performance testing (NeoLoad, Gatling, etc)

I've been promoted a few times but I'm starting to get tired of line management, interviewing, setting strategy, etc and look back fondly on my contractor days.

However, I've sent my CV for about a dozen well-matched roles on JobServe with zero response.

Is the market really that bad for technical testers?
        Is it possible to have too much experience? Am I too old at 52?
        Should I switch back to development?

Any advice appreciated!

you're not too old, but you have been living under a rock it seems. The market is not the most buoyant right now.

Don't put your age on your CV for a start. Or your DOB.
        Testing is still used but would appear to be out of favour a little, possibly because project managers have learnt your terms (unit tests, test plan etc.), stick them in a plan, and expect non-testers to do it. It doesn't work very well, but try getting someone to spend £600 a day on a decent test manager when they think they have it covered.
        Development will be an easier ride but not necessarily the right one. Why not put your day rate up and wait for the decent projects to start? Stop scratting around looking for anything.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Most contracts you find will fall within IR35 so you won't be bringing in as much money as 5 years ago.

You are better of finding another permanent job with decent employer pension contributions until people won't employ you due to age discrimination. (Yes it still exists even though it is illegal.)

I've had conversations with older permies and they say they just move around until they find an employer they like. Then they stay until they piss them off or can retire. This is why you want decent employer pension contributions.
          This is the most important post so far on this thread - Inside IR35 has killed contracting and the take home pay. I spoke to someone yesterday who was working at a french bank in london - His day rate was £600 and always outside IR35 meaning he can pay his wife a salary and optimise tax.

From 1 April all contractors have to go inside IR35 and the drop in take home is huge after employer NI and apprentice levy and no ability to build a warchest in the Ltd and avoid 40% tax. Even without IR35 the changes to dividend tax made it bad but now its really not worth it. Run the numbers and you will see for yourself sadly.

Comment

Testing/Technical Testing/Test Automation is not as attractive as it was. Main reason why I moved into Data Engineering (the doing side not the managing side). I am same age as you but I moved about 4-5 years ago.

You should have stayed in development but it's not late if you are confident of your dev skills. Development always gets you something, either Perm or Contract.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post

This is the most important post so far on this thread - Inside IR35 has killed contracting and the take home pay. I spoke to someone yesterday who was working at a french bank in london - His day rate was £600 and always outside IR35 meaning he can pay his wife a salary and optimise tax.

From 1 April all contractors have to go inside IR35 and the drop in take home is huge after employer NI and apprentice levy and no ability to build a warchest in the Ltd and avoid 40% tax. Even without IR35 the changes to dividend tax made it bad but now its really not worth it. Run the numbers and you will see for yourself sadly.
              No it hasn't. And no it hasn't.
              Contracting isn't all about the money.
              Most contractors were never running a business anyway.
              Rates are going up for inside roles if the candidate is desired by the client.
              There are still outside roles.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

No it hasn't. And no it hasn't.
                Contracting isn't all about the money.
                Most contractors were never running a business anyway.
                Rates are going up for inside roles if the candidate is desired by the client.
                There are still outside roles.
                But he's got a point. The market has been getting flatter for many years as more people jump in to contracting. I recall a number of threads about testers not being able to get gigs for a start. It's wrong of NPOUK to say it's killed contracting but it's also wrong to to say no it hasn't. It's certainly the worst period for us in decades. All the uncertainty and the many roles switching to FTC's and inside. The number out outside roles as the OP remembers will be vastly reduced. Not all rates are going up either and I suspect that will be short term to retain the existing contractors. Once they realise they can get the same level people for the old rates they'll slide back down.

So not the best time to go contracting, but then there never was really.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys! I didn't expect such prompt and considered answers

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to retire reasonably comfortably if I wanted to BUT I do still enjoy technical challenges so would like to carry on if possible.

Although I've been sheltered as a permie for the last few years I don't think I've quite been living under a rock! I fully understand that the number of available roles, rates and tax conditions aren't great and likely won't recover before I retire.

In my view these are my main options:

1) Persist with looking for a technical tester contract
                  2) Refresh my C# skills and look for a C# dev contract
                  3) Refresh my Java skills and look for a Java dev contract

I would like to have 3 months off per year (to recharge and reflect) so permanent roles won't work for me.

I'm fed up with management so would like a largely technical role.

I'm tempted to resign soon, take the summer off and then start looking in earnest later in the year.

The rate doesn't have to be great - the challenges, company business area and people are more important to me nowadays.

BTW, I've seen a gradual decline in rates since the turn of the century. Here's a rough summary of my rates over time (they were all per hour but I've multiplied by 8 to get a day rate). I never "chased" the best rate.

1995 Visual C++ £280
                  1997 Visual C++ £320
                  1998 Visual C++ £360
                  2001 Java £680
                  2002 C# £520
                  2005 VB.NET £480
                  2015 C# £440
                  Last edited by trashy; 24 March 2021, 12:06.

Comment

Best best it to check Jobserve and linkedin and see what is around for you then.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X