• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opening New limited company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening New limited company

I was having a limited company with my Brother. I was not having voting right and holding less than 10% share.
    I sold my share to my brother and resigned as director in Dec2020.
    My brother liquidate the company recently and will claim ER.

If I open new limited company in UK on my sole name. would that be issue for my brother to claim ER ?
    Any other issue which I have missed ?

Regards
    Last edited by mike78; 20 March 2021, 13:54.

Originally posted by mike78 View Post
    I was having a limited company with my Brother. I was not having voting right and holding less than 10% share.

If I open new limited company in UK. would that be issue for my brother to claim ER ?

Regards

Is your brother going to be part of the new company? Are the pair of you essentially phoenxing but changing who has significant control in order to max out tax reliefs?
    Last edited by ladymuck; 20 March 2021, 13:30. Reason: Forgot to quote as I'm sure this will go south and it's a post worth preserving :)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Is your brother going to be part of the new company? Are the pair of you essentially phoenxing but changing who has significant control in order to max out tax reliefs?
      He won't be part of the new company.

Comment

If I open new limited company in UK. would that be issue for my brother to claim ER ?

Regards
        I don't see why it would be an issue. You had no stake in the company when it was liquidated.
        Whether your brother is entitled to ER is a different question, but not related to you starting a new company.

(unless this some complicated wheeze to avoid tax, but given the facts as stated it should be fine IMO)

IANAL
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If I open new limited company in UK on my sole name. would that be issue for my brother to claim ER ?

Regards
          No. Why on earth would it?

Whether your brother is entitled to ER is a different question, but not related to you starting a new company.
          I've got a feeling we really don't want to be going there.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X