• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice for first time contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post

You should walk away and take the perm role. The agency have lied to you more than once, they tried to reduce your rate by a third. Ignore the misdirection of salary bands and job titles. Neither should apply if you're a proper contractor (sure you're not fixed term or other?).

Take the PAYE gig - for 2 grand difference you'll get paid holidays, bank holidays, sick leave, training etc etc.
    By the sounds of it for £8k more you'll get paid holidays, bank holidays, sick leave, training etc etc.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by fiju View Post
      They initially told me £300 LTD.

I have spoken to the client, who revealed that they have not agreed a rate with the agent as of yet. The terms are on a set banding or something like that. How should I play this?

Btw the agent is still trying to push me towards a CIS, and I still can't work out if that's beneficial.
      You shouldn't be speaking to the client about rates. That's nothing to do with you. That's between the client and the agent. If you find out so early what the client pays the agent things will get very heated between you and the agent when they apply their factoring which you will undoubtedly not agree with whatever it is. You don't know their business/costs/margins so won't understand why they want to take what they want.

I'd be willing to bet that isn't true either so by your book the client is lying again. By pushing for information people haven't got or aren't willing to give you you are opening yourself up to being lied to to some extent.

Again, I am surprised after all this the agent is still even speaking to you. The hole you are digging is getting deeper and deeper and close to falling through.

Your contractual agreement is with the agency only so as much as you don't like it only speak to them.

Nothing to play. You've got an offer, you've countered offered so wait. Use the time to research the CIS scheme to find out what would be best for you.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You shouldn't be speaking to the client about rates.
        There's two schools of thought concerning that.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          There's two schools of thought concerning that.
          That's true to be fair but it does come with considerable risk which has to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

That's true to be fair but it does come with considerable risk which has to be considered.
            That's also true. You have to have a good relationship with the client before trying that kind of stuff. Or at least know the client hates the agent as much as you do!
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well thanks for the help. I didn't think it would do any harm to speak to the client, after all, what have I got to lose?

The agent has tried calling and emailing me a few times over the past couple of days. I've ignored it so far. Part of me feels like telling him to suck a dick...

Comment

Originally posted by fiju View Post
                Well thanks for the help. I didn't think it would do any harm to speak to the client, after all, what have I got to lose?

The agent has tried calling and emailing me a few times over the past couple of days. I've ignored it so far. Part of me feels like telling him to suck a dick...
                That's gonna sort the problem. Way to go.

Comment

What problem would that be? You seem to think that I have something to lose.

Comment

45k posts yet can't reply to a simple question. What a loser.

Comment

move to general, please??

Comment

Working...
                      X