• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short Term Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Term Insurance

Anyone know where I can get short term Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance?

Everywhere I'm checking only seem to do yearly.

I understand that once you cancel the insurance or when it runs out, thats it, you're not insured any more.

However, been offered a perm role at the place I've been contracting at for last 9 months.

My insurance has just expired, and I need it for the rest of the month.

From April I'll be perm. So I plan on beginning MVL fairly quickly.

Which means the option of getting a yearly policy with QDOS (who I'm currently with), then cancelling somewhere down the line, may then not be possible, as I assume that the business bank account, where the refund would go, would no longer exist??

Would be happy with maybe a 3 or 6 month policy. Just annoying if I'm paying 12 months premium for the sake of a few weeks.

Have you tried giving Hiscox a call? I doubt you'll get this without phoning a company, or even a broker.

Or maybe look for one that gives a refund pro-rata if you cancel, and take out the annual policy.

Or just a accept a few £ hundred is an overhead for this month of work.

Comment

The idea of PI is not just to cover you while you are working, it's to cover you if anything is discovered later. It's not a product you only buy for a few months.

It's good practice to hold your PI for a full year after but if you are MVL'ing and there is no company to go after I guess it doesn't matter. Bearing in mind it's going to take a while for the MVL you'll need cover for longer than the month so I'd just pay the yearly fee and cancel later. It's like what, 200 quid?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        Have you tried giving Hiscox a call? I doubt you'll get this without phoning a company, or even a broker.

Or maybe look for one that gives a refund pro-rata if you cancel, and take out the annual policy.

Or just a accept a few £ hundred is an overhead for this month of work.
        QDOS allow you to cancel insurances pro-rata. Or they did when I asked. Although that was to get more cover. They let me cancel one and start another. On that basis I assume it's their standard Ts&Cs.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
        X