• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aspiring Business Analyst

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baen View Post
    A business degree such as an MBA will open doors and has a longer shelf life compared to certificates. There are plenty of part time options, e.g. lbs, chicago booth, ou, etc.
    Not really - in a lot of places there are so many MBAs having one means absolutely nothing.

MBAs are something companies can spend their apprenticeship allowance on so they do..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Not really - in a lot of places there are so many MBAs having one means absolutely nothing.

MBAs are something companies can spend their apprenticeship allowance on so they do..
      You are right in that respect but I did most of an MBA via the Open University and what it taught me helped me more over my career than any other course/qualification did. Some people seem to have a nack of understanding situations and coming up with solutions that are very similar to the frameworks taught but I didn't so it was invaluable. Dealing with change, conflict, motivation and understanding roles and people etc have become second nature where I would have struggled in the past. Without it I would have dealt with it in a fairly blinkered approach instead of knowing the options the frameworks offered. A very simple example is when people think money is the main motivator when it can be quite the opposite.

I'd say it's worthwhile for the knowledge if not the qualification but it's bloody expensive to do yourself.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

All you need is for one client to give you a go. Don't rule yourself out before they've had the opportunity as you'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

I'm doing all kinds of crazy work I never *set out to do* because one client gave me a go when I knew (comparably) nothing.

Success doesn't like company on here - don't let that put you off.
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

As for the old being a generalist is a bad thing chestnut, I have never had two consecutive contracts in the same sector.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            I'm doing all kinds of crazy work I never *set out to do* because one client gave me a go when I knew (comparably) nothing.
            In which part of a global pandemic just after parting ways with our biggest trading partner and the introduction of legislation that has decimated the contracting market did that happen?

What you're saying is true just a few years ago, but things are different now.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

In which part of a global pandemic just after parting ways with our biggest trading partner and the introduction of legislation that has decimated the contracting market did that happen?

What you're saying is true just a few years ago, but things are different now.
              Indeed. I also don't think some story about a stroke of luck from someone with a solid skill base and twice as many years in the job is really useful to the OP in anyway shape or form either.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X