• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going in too low? Recruiters fee revealed...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going in too low? Recruiters fee revealed...

Funny interview I've just had. The end user revealed to me what the agent is charging for me. £625. The agent talked me into going forward on £500 which I probably agreed to in haste. Have I ripped myself off or is that a reasonable margin...hmmmm.

Or, are you happy with the rate being offered and can afford to keep the roof over your head and the wolves from your door?

I've undercharged loads of times, that I've later discovered, but I've also never had a request for a rate increase turned down and lots of repeat work...

But I suspect you want to be told you've been shafted and that you should make a huge fuss about it. Then the agent will tell the client you've got another job and are no longer available.

Comment

You can't go round regretting decisions like this else you'll get tied up in a not and make a proper mess of it next time. Better to get a gig under rate than push for higher and lose the gig. You weren't to know and that's an unusually high rate (not that we know what you do) so for me £500 is a good rate. If the recruiter managed to get 625 then fair play to him. I couldn't have guessed that but I'm still happy with it. What I can do is nail his/her non gendered bollox to the wall at next renewal.

20% is a pretty high but it's by far not the worst commission we've seen on here either. For new accounts, clients with low contractors, niche areas then it's not totally unreasonable. 12-15 is about normal, sub 10 for large clients that are contractor heavy. Just look forward to the extra £70+ you'll be getting next renewal.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd be accepting the £500 now, make myself invaluable to the client, then ask for an increase at renewal time, knowing the agent has £125 margin to play with.

If you play hardball now, unless you're sure you're "the one" for the client, you risk the agent saying you're no longer availalbe.

Comment

bear in mind that discussing the agents commercial terms with the client could well be a breach of your contract with the agency.
          So be careful what you do with the information.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The usual question - is the agent fleecing anyone? Or are all three parties happy? If you're happy on £500 and the client is happy paying £625 then that's great. If either of you are unhappy then there is some wriggle room for you and the client to squeeze the agent with. Not that this has ever been discussed before on here of course....
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I look forward to the post in three months time complaining that the OP is still only on £500, but the client is now paying £550 as they squeezed the agent based information the OP provided.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Deliberately close your ears like I do, whenever rate details between the client & agency are accidentally discussed in front of you. It makes you unhappy but in reality you should be happy that you have a role paying £500 during pandemic times like these.

Comment

My general rule of thumb is that, as long as I'm happy with the rate I'm getting, I really don't care what anyone else gets. That goes for agents, fellow contractors, anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    My general rule of thumb is that, as long as I'm happy with the rate I'm getting, I really don't care what anyone else gets. That goes for agents, fellow contractors, anyone.
                    This

Comment

Working...
                    X