• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consequences of being submitted to a client by two agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post

Neither agent contacted me again. I was perfect for the role itself, I usually hear from 90% of the roles I apply for due to some niche skills but didn't hear back in this case.
    Bummer. Sorry to hear. Onwards and upwards.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Contrary to some of the comments on this thread, while I think it is sometimes wise to tread carefully, you also have to have your BS senses alert to agencies pulling a fast one.

A good few years ago, I was put forward for a contract via one agency which, according to the agent, said that my skillset didn't match what the client required and that the client had rejected me out of hand. I thought screw it, and applied for the same role via a different agency and eventually ended up being offered a contract with said client. I admit, I was churlish enough to get in touch with the original agent on offer of the contract to gloat.

Ok, it's not applying via 2 agencies at the same time, but the bottom line is that often agencies just don't forward you for contracts as their preferred c̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶c̶o̶w̶s contractors get put forward instead, regardless of suitability.

Comment

It can work for you, I had pimp ring me about a role in Cheshire for a role (MSE) but wanted references, I wouldn't give him them. I rang former colleagues who were working there at the time who said there are vacancies I will get HR to ring you. They used a previous app I'd sent a year previous so pimp didn't have any come back.

Ended up going direct for five months, and it was very enjoyable telling the pimp this (after I'd refused to take any calls from him for about month).

Small victory for the freelancer.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Another dirty trick in this scenario taught me to pick one, but do not tell the other agent. Simply tell that agent the job's not for you.

A bad agent will see you as an opportunity to take one of their competitor's players out of the game. "Here are our 3x CVs. We had this other guy called <your name> who we thought was really suitable, but in our due diligence we found out <this bad thing>."

I've had this happen once to me, and seen it happen to others when I've been on the hiring side of the desk.

Comment

Working...
          X