• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 insurance

Anyone got any views on which is the best company for insurance against IR35 inquiry getting kicked off?

Any idea what prices are like?

Cheers

You'll need people who have claimed on their IR35 investigation insurance to tell you which policy/company was best.

Regarding policy prices, you can look at IPSE membership (which doesn't demand a contract review). The two insurance companies that spring to mind are Qdos and Kingsbridge but you'll have to consider if they require a contract review that has an outside determination by them before they'll pay out on any claim, which would be an extra cost on top of the policy.

Also bear in mind that an insurance policy will be sold on the assumption that you won't need to claim on it...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      You'll need people who have claimed on their IR35 investigation insurance to tell you which policy/company was best.

Regarding policy prices, you can look at IPSE membership (which doesn't demand a contract review). The two insurance companies that spring to mind are Qdos and Kingsbridge but you'll have to consider if they require a contract review that has an outside determination by them before they'll pay out on any claim, which would be an extra cost on top of the policy.

Also bear in mind that an insurance policy will be sold on the assumption that you won't need to claim on it...
      Sure and anyone around with such experience?

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
        Sure and anyone around with such experience?
        Not really. Just pick one and get on with the gig. QDOS is my choice.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
          Anyone got any views on which is the best company for insurance against IR35 inquiry getting kicked off?

Any idea what prices are like?

Cheers
          No inquiries have been kicked off in last few years, why bother??

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I use QDOS for mine.

A QDOS person confirmed on here that you don't need a contract review.

It used to have a few minimum requirements like your contract had to offer right of substitution and a couple of others, not sure if they have that requirement anymore but every gig seems to just use QDos' own templates anyway.

Just don't take the piss and you'll be fine with it. I find the £300 or so it costs per year is likely worth it given their history - firstly I don't need to spend ages fretting and trying to squeeze contract reviews in (because I often get the contract on or sometimes even after the start date and don't have chance to review it), and secondly, I'm confident I'm covered if I'm investigated - I read some horror stories around how even if you're totally innocent they can make your life a living hell investigating you and demanding you attend meetings with them and answer huge volumes of letters/calls/etc.

iirc there was a case like that where HMRC demanded someone meet them in person which is obviously a long train journey and a day of missed work, and they had QDos insurance and just handed it off to them who sorted it out.

Do your own research of course but I'm happy paying for the piece of mind.

Comment

I have both TLC 35 (QDOS) and Ipse plus cover.

Total cost is less than my day rate.

Job done.

Comment

What you'll get told readily

"Ah, Ipse doesn't include insurance for the sums, only cover for a lawyer to argue your case"

What you won't get told so readily: "That insurance has never paid out, or needed to, meaning they never lost a case or perhaps didn't take some on"

So unless you think you're going to be the landmark case that both loses an appeal and a day in court AND pays out, get IPSE.

Then simply use their benefits package with Perkbox to buy your supermarket shopping and holidays, making you the money back.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                X